• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST Birthday Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn29

Hello has anyone ever seen or had one made for them? Does anyone know where one could get one made?:D
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Your best bet is to find a photo (bear in mind it cannot be copyrighted, so one of your own photos you'll need) you like and take it with you to Sainsburys where they do photo cakes for £8.99.

Had one of me driving D1013 for my 22nd birthday made for me in 2006, quite funky to see a Western on a cake! :D

Phoenix

Established Member
Forget photo cakes i bet you if we had a side on outline of one a cake could be made.
Be a cool idea plus a tasty one.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Would be well good, agreed, but then you've got to get the right colours for the livery. And if you chose FGW Barbie that would be a mission and a half. Same sort of problem for FGW Lightning, getting those lines right would be very difficult.

Then there's making sure you get the exhauster deflector on and in the right place, not to mention the wheels, the grid on the side by the cooler group...You get the idea I should imagine! :p

Do shove a photo of your cake up on here when you get it martyn.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Plenty of choice I'd imagine! A classic shot would probably be best to go for vice modern one, purely on the grounds it could become more of a talking point. When I say classic I'm thinking pre-2006.

One other thing I neglected to mention previously was that Sainsburys in Hereford's cake machine breaks down regularly, meaning they can't do them. What I would therefore suggest is getting the cake done with some allowance for such delays. The cake will be in date for some time after (I think they're allox 3 weeks usually, but check the sticker on the box when you get it to be sure).

This time of year they're not usually busy doing 50 cakes a day, so you should be OK to get it swiftly. If the machine has broken on the day of purchase, you can apparently still purchase the base as is and return with your receipt and photo of choice the next day or whatever. I recommend following this course of action as I know the Hereford branch runs out very quickly. They can get a load of 12 in and they can be all gone the next day sometimes. Of course, if you do that double-check that they'll do it for you the next day or whatever though, in case they've changed their policy!

If you should so choose, you can add some text to it too, so you could have Happy Birthday or whatever on it if you wanted. Whatever you decide to have on it, they'll show you on the screen what it would look like before printing it.

As you might have guessed, we've done this sort of thing plenty of times before! :D

Established Member
i once saw a photo of a Pendolino cake, not a cake with a photo of a pendo the cake was shaped like a pendo, i want to find where i can get one shaped like a Growler :D

whoshotjimmi

I think you should have a word with the people at Skoda! If they can make a cake look like a Fabia - complete with engine - I'm sure someone can make a HST! Might be a bit on the big side though......

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm very worried that if you got Skoda to do it, they would be tempted to reduce costs by placing an MTU engine into the HST, vice Valenta :lol:

mumrar

Established Member
Where about do you live, and when would the cake be required for?

I ask because my Mom runs a cake business and does novelty cakes. She is in Bromsgrove. What would you want the cake made from, and for how many people would you need to feed? If you are interested post details back and I'll ask questions.

She regularly has to make railway related confectionary for me and more recently my son.

martyn29

thanks! I am not sure yet! but have you any photos of the things she has made you? I live in Leicester and its not urgent as its for later in the year

mumrar

Established Member
What is it with you Bromsgrovians and calling Mum's, Mom's :lol:

Nothing Bromsgrove specific (I'm from Redditch) and more to do with Birmingham and areas SW of saying Mom.

Unfortunately her website is being redesigned at the moment, but an example of a quite big cake she did for me with printed pictures........

yqo73n.jpg

There's also this one, but it's not really anything like an HST
ympjkr.jpg

Best of all both of these were free for me too, what a cheater!

Ascot

Established Member
Nothing Bromsgrove specific (I'm from Redditch) and more to do with Birmingham and areas SW of saying Mom.

Unfortunately her website is being redesigned at the moment, but an example of a quite big cake she did for me with printed pictures........

They do look nice cakes. I always use mom. :lol:

devon_metro

Established Member

Only reason I say is the fact that half of my family from from Bromsgrove/Redditch area, so am used to it <D

mumrar

Established Member
Everything on the cake was EDIBLE. I don't know, someone writes eatable and not a word is said, I put Mom and the forum goes into big dialect debate :D

Phoenix

Established Member
Just don't live to be over 130 or else the cakes just get worse until 300 years and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.