• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST BVE4 & Richwel;l Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
IT all depends on your machine - I frequently get framerates in the 50's, though obviously they are only in enclosed areas (tunnels etc)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Its more likely to be RAM I think

I WAS running a P2 350 with 384RAM and 8MB Graphics and got average of 8 in the tunnels.

Now running a P4 1.8 with 256RAM and 32MB Graphics, I still only get an average of around 13.

It seems the upgrade of graphics and processor, JUST compensates, with a little extra, for the loss of 128MB RAM in BVE 4?! :confused:

Bill EWS

HI,
I have since downloaded the 'Performance Test' programme that Tom mentioned.. The result from a complete performace test was 195.7%, which sounds pretty good to me. And the programme didn't appear to give any method of making any improvements, therefore I have to take it that is about as good as the computer is going to get fopr the time being. I shall look into possibly increasing the memory and see if that makes any difference.

Regards.

Bill EWS.

eezypeazy

Bill,

My machine got a rating of 197.9!!!!

Out of interest, run the 3D graphics tests only - at its most complex (lots of planes, lots of trees) and observe the frame rate displayed during the test - I got over 40fps most of the time!

Interestingly, the Oropa tram route for BVE4 returns a peak frame rate of 44fps, dropping to just 7fps, and that's got loads of scenery!

eezypeazy

PS: You may have noticed above that Bill has revealed my true identity! I'm concerned that my BVE superpowers may have been compromised! Like all superheroes, I have a fundamental weakness.... if I get too close to M$T$ I'll just become a gibbering wreck!!!

Tom B

Established Member
What is your current processor speed / RAM level?

Nitro

I ve also downloaded this little program and my PC got 226.4 but only about 20fps on that full screen 3D plane film :confused: :confused:

eezypeazy

lankylancaster said:
I got around 50fps on the plane thingy but i rarely get above 15fps in BVE... I am very confused now!
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that BVE 4 places more demands upon our computers than other games. Now, I don't have any other simulator/action/3D type games, so I've nothing to compare with. However, if this is the case, then I think it has most implications for route and train developers. There is little point in developing items that are so resource intensive that an average PC can't cope with them adequately. In my own route developing, I aim to achieve about 20fps on my machine in less 'scenery intensive' sections, and no less than 10fps in heavier 'scenery intensive' sections. There have been times when I've spent hours (if not days) creating a particular scene, only to drive it and, finding the fps to be unacceptable, going back and deleting half of it!

All of which doesn't explain why I get such good frame rates (for much of the time) on the Oropa tram route. This route, though, consists of scenery only in the new .x format... could it be that BVE handles this far more efficiently?

I'm aware that this thread has gone wildly off topic.... hope that's OK with everybody!

eezypeazy
BVE super powers stabalising

Tom B

Established Member
eezypeazy said:
All of which doesn't explain why I get such good frame rates (for much of the time) on the Oropa tram route. This route, though, consists of scenery only in the new .x format... could it be that BVE handles this far more efficiently?

Could well be, since it is a native DirectX format, doesn't have to be converted etc..

Nitro

Yes that is quite a point Eezypeazy but I really think its the trains rather than the route. Infact I believe (of course I can be proven wrong) the better the sounds in the train the more the demand. The reason behind this is that when the Voyager came along, the download was big (didnt bother me though) and it was said it has less loops and more high quality sounds and suddenly I had a drop in fps. I do plan on upgrading my RAM though as 256mb is just not enough!

Bill EWS

As Ezzypeezy (seems I have given something away here, but what!!!) asked, I gave a 3-D Graphic test and here are the results. Hope they mean something to somebody!

32 Bit 193.4 FPS 200
Medium 36.0 FPS 40
Complex 5.0 FPS 10
3-D Grafix Mark 75.00 FPS 80
PassMark Result 9.0 FPS 10

Simple Test = 198.42
Medium Test = 41.39
Complex Test = 33.38

NVIDIR GForce4 MX 4000.

BillEWS.

eezypeazy

So, Bill, our two machines have broadly similar performance... methinks enhancement means big bucks!

eezypeazy

Status
Not open for further replies.