• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST Exhaust Cowling

Status
Not open for further replies.

I noticed that some East Coast Hst's have had the raised exhaust cowling removed so they look like they did when they were first built, anyone know why. is it something to do with the MTU refirbs ???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It's an interesting spot, it isn't a refurbishment thing as they'd all be like it if that were the case (and 43313 has been seen with and with since the MTUs were fitted), a quick search on Google suggests 43208, 43238, 43272, 43290, 43300, 43309, 43311, 43313 43314 and 43315 have had them removed

ash39

Established Member
It is an interesting spot, I hadn't noticed myself.

These pictures are from yesterday, 43315 and 43311 are seen here with no cowlings

6953073952_95a2cfcb5a_c.jpg

43317 retains its cowling

7099170885_693fe60072_c.jpg

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it something they're doing as part of the repaints? I notice that the two in the top image don't have the cowling are repainted into EC's livery whilst the one in the bottom image that does is still in NX white.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Those cowlings were put on in the first place in order to keep a stream of clean air across the windscreen when the power car is at the rear because exhaust was heavily coating the fronts of them.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those cowlings were put on in the first place in order to keep a stream of clean air across the windscreen when the power car is at the rear because exhaust was heavily coating the fronts of them.

In which case they may be superfluous once repainted as the EC livery is black where that would be an issue.

theblackwatch

Established Member
All the power cars I noticed today at York had had the smoke deflectors (which is what they were always referred to) removed. I have to confess that were in not for this thread, I wouldn't have noticed!

dubscottie

IIRC from articles around the time (early-mid80's), they where added around the same time that some part of the exhaust/turbocharger was replaced.

Think there was an issue with some cast iron parts and the cowlings were added to aid cooling the metal as well as keeping the windscreen clear.

I think it was when there was daily reports of HST's "running on low power" due to overheating. (you can tell an original East Coast power car by the hole cut in the bodyside grill.. Used to be a filler point for the radiator)

Ill go digging through my archive now as it is going to bug me!!

Surely keeping it on would also aid in the cooling or do east coast know something that everyone doesn't. whilst i appreciate it was added when they were having low power issues you'd think they'd have kept it on. it's not as if the MTU and all the associated gubbings are perfect are they.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've been given a possible reason from a source who wishes to remain nameless (but they do work in the industry) that:

MTU's have been known to run hot, which can make the exhaust deflector crack around outlets... As a result the deflector peels back, and can then touch the OHLE...

Status
Not open for further replies.