• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST power car query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
I was passing Laira over the weekend and noticed a HST power car in the sidings with no cab fitted! As the number is on the missing cab I could not identify it so anyone provide any details?

For anyone in Plymouth it can be seen, albeit through 2 fences, from the footpath off Brandon Road.

It is just about visible from passing trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Probably having repairs to the cab (it's a one piece fibreglass moulding that bolts on)

es373

This may have something to do with the fatality at Hayes and Harlington station a few days ago.
I heard that the cab front managed to fracture on impact and a few of the mounting bolts had bent.

83G/84D

Established Member
This may have something to do with the fatality at Hayes and Harlington station a few days ago.
I heard that the cab front managed to fracture on impact and a few of the mounting bolts had bent.

It is facing east so unless it has been turned on the triangle it was on the London end of a train,anyone have an ID for it?

route:oxford

Established Member
It is facing east so unless it has been turned on the triangle it was on the London end of a train,anyone have an ID for it?

Well, chances are it would have been. Reverse to Drayton Green Junction, then reverse at the triangle before heading Westbound with the undamaged power car leading.

Not likely to be that power car. The most damage caused by fatalities is the nose end door and lower valances getting smashed. A human body would never cause enough damage to require a complete cab swap.

I believe the power car involved at Hayes is currently at OOC.

daikilo

Established Member
Not likely to be that power car. The most damage caused by fatalities is the nose end door and lower valances getting smashed. A human body would never cause enough damage to require a complete cab swap.

The cab taken out by a tree accross the line several months ago?

dave87016

Established Member
Does anyone know the powercar numbers that are mentioned above? and I will look up their status on TRUST tommorow

es373

While I do apologise for questioning your intellect, I have personally changed quite a few cab shells due to hitting animals and mostly humans at high speed.

Cab shells are designed to crumple up on impact as it dissipates the force of the impact rather than carrying the energy down the train.

While I do apologise for questioning your intellect, I have personally changed quite a few cab shells due to hitting animals and mostly humans at high speed.

Cab shells are designed to crumple up on impact as it dissipates the force of the impact rather than carrying the energy down the train.

How tall were these people / animals? The top of the nose end door is over 6 feet off of the ballast!

Normal impact damage from fatalaties is nose end doors, valances, signalling equipment, lifeguards and brake pipes. After that the object is normally in so many small parts that it doesn't cause any other damage.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know the powercar numbers that are mentioned above? and I will look up their status on TRUST tommorow

I'm pretty certain the set involved at Hayes was LA63 if that's of any use. (Power car 43149 rings a bell but don't quote me on that)

I disagree with this also.

The vehicle will have crumple zones in it's structure but there will be no specific weakness designed into a GRP cab.

The cab taken out by a tree accross the line several months ago?

daikilo's quote is what made me think 041, oh well

83G/84D

Established Member
A person who has posted pictures of this on wnxx.com suggests the identity of the power car is 43036. If so what happened to it?

hello

no fault found, next time you are out and about, i suggest you take a look at the 2 ends of 220001, you will see that one of the ends does not have a dark yellow triangle patch on it where the virgin emblem used to be, this is because after someone took a dive in front of it at early, it did enough damage to it that the whole cab needed replacing

Temple Meads

Established Member
A person who has posted pictures of this on wnxx.com suggests the identity of the power car is 43036. If so what happened to it?

I've just found this picture of 43036 (taken on June 22nd 2012, around the time the injured 43 appeared at Laira IIRC) on flickr (not my pic, all credit to the original photographer), the damage doesn't look that serious in the picture, but the fibreglass above the headlight is cracked, and that doesn't look like a separate panel to the rest of the cab to me.

7419178554_7f42dcbaf6.jpg
[/url] 43192,43036,Dawlish by 56074 Kellingley Colliery, on Flickr[/IMG]

So all in all, I'd say it is 43036.

DXMachina

short circuit between the tail and headlight power leads caused by compression damage perhaps?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I tend to find the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In this case, perhaps the last driver to use that cab didn't change it over and no-one else checked it.

DXMachina

Are the lights really not linked to the drive circuit to change automatically then?

BestWestern

Established Member
short circuit between the tail and headlight power leads caused by compression damage perhaps?

Hmm, possible I suppose, but it would have been covered up in that case. Most likely it just wasn't checked I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.