• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
When a HST is formed of only 2 carriages and 2 power cars running ECS between depots say Bounds Green to Heaton are they subjected to any operational restrictions such as maximum speed etc....

Just wondering as I though to run at 125mph, the train had to include a minimum of 6 coaches.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I think, with the HST, it has to be 2+5 or greater to run at upto 125mph, with a shorter train running at no more then 110mph (or is it 100?) because of stopping distances increasing with less brake force. 2+2 HSTs have run in service, but only as a 158 replacement.

Hairy Bear

When a HST is formed of only 2 carriages and 2 power cars running ECS between depots say Bounds Green to Heaton are they subjected to any operational restrictions such as maximum speed etc....

Just wondering as I though to run at 125mph, the train had to include a minimum of 6 coaches.

They can run at 125 but you have to give it greater distance to stop and have regard to the rail conditions.The power cars have disc brakes and can brake there own weight.

LE Greys

Established Member
Any restrictions on power car and barrier van, or just a pair of power cars running together?

Saw an interesting picture once, PC+TRSB+PC formation

Hairy Bear

Any restrictions on power car and barrier van, or just a pair of power cars running together?

Saw an interesting picture once, PC+TRSB+PC formation

Yes.....75mph. Had an argument with control over barrier vehicles once, couldn't seem to get his head around the fact that our barrier coaches are mk1 BG's.

LE Greys

Established Member
Yes.....75mph. Had an argument with control over barrier vehicles once, couldn't seem to get his head around the fact that our barrier coaches are mk1 BG's.

Right, that's interesting. I've only ever seen the EC vehicles before, formerly MkII brake coaches I think.

shedman

EC have a mixture of mki and mkii barriers and EMT have 2 certified for mainline use both porterbrook branded and based at NL.

Status
Not open for further replies.