• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST via Coalville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomnick

Established Member
I've just come across this schedule for a 1Z43 today only - 09:42 London St. Pancras - Nottingham via Coalville and Castle Donington. I'd heard rumblings of an HST booked to run over this route, so it's no great surprise - but does anyone have any idea of the purpose of the move?

Apologies if already discussed elsewhere - can't see anything though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Ah, just found it, thanks. Seemed a bit of a short day for a railtour, and Wednesday seemed an odd day too! Suppose it would have used one of the sets between the peaks though.

AlexS

Established Member
I saw it on the set lists for today and did wonder what on earth it was about. I've not seen anything publicised about it either externally or internally but it called at various stops to Market Harborough. EDIT - evidently UK Railtours snuck it in on the quiet!

Last edited:
This tour has been well advertised by UK Railtours including being on their website for a couple of months. It has also been plugged by the 125 Group in their fine journal.

It is not the first, and hopefully won't be the last to utilise an EMT HST set during its layover between the morning and evening rush hours - indeed a very sensible use of spare resources for a mini midweek tour coinciding with school holidays.

I was delighted to be on the trip, which I would estimate to have been 75% full, and I believe everyone had a very enjoyable day - its a long time since I had traversed the Coalville line - and certainly the first time on an HST.:)

Tubeboy

The stop at Market Harborough was for a crew change. PU and SD points were St Pancras, Luton Airport Parkway and Kettering. Lots joined/alighted at Kettering!!

fsmr

Blimey, the Knighton jnctn to Coalvile sectyion must have been a new experience poodling along at 40 max and having branches obscure your vision, plus all the chavs on the line in west leicester or was it allowed to run faster. Bit of as roller coaster ride due to subsidence IIRC from the specials to Mantle lane days

Status
Not open for further replies.