• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew

Yes, the Eurostar connections generally ran with very few passengers. IIRC it was something to do with tickets. Possibly that you could only board them if you had a ticket for Eurostar, and connections into the 'normal' London terminus and then via LUL to Waterloo were quicker than the HST connection.

They were running in 1996, IIRC, but must have ended soon after (97/98?). They were meant to be a forerunner to International provincial services, but I guess the HST connections' poor loadings didn't help the regional Eurostars' cases.

Jordy

Established Member

kestrel

Ditto http://photos-by-kestrel.fotodock.co.uk/p37288368.html

I see a random 150 in platform 4 (which is now closed) forming a service to Sheffield, which calls all stations Donny-Sheffield - with 'Swinton' and 'Meadowhall' written into the sign! I guess the HST was a Cleethorpes-KGX via Doncaster, happy days

Any more pics of Cleethorpes/Grimsby area kestrel?

Jordy

The HST was on a 125 special charter service on the 2 november 1991 which i was on board testing the full dining service with wine:thumbup:

The tour utilised a spare western region set available at weekends and was organised between BR and John Farrow (HRT)

The tour went from St Pancras - Cleethorpes -Blackpool via Copy pit and named the 'Coast to Coast'

It was these tours that 'made' John Farrow and HRT (hertfordshire railtours)

kestrel

Yes, the Eurostar connections generally ran with very few passengers. IIRC it was something to do with tickets. Possibly that you could only board them if you had a ticket for Eurostar, and connections into the 'normal' London terminus and then via LUL to Waterloo were quicker than the HST connection.

They were running in 1996, IIRC, but must have ended soon after (97/98?). They were meant to be a forerunner to International provincial services, but I guess the HST connections' poor loadings didn't help the regional Eurostars' cases.

For the reason mentioned above ie only Eurostar travellers with tkts were allowed to use the service, the pic if i remember was taken in 96, note the DMU's on the shuttles

Julian G

Established Member
For the reason mentioned above ie only Eurostar travellers with tkts were allowed to use the service, the pic if i remember was taken in 96, note the DMU's on the shuttles
These DMUs are much better than the Stuff I rode on the WLL, {150,313,319,377}
I miss them DMUs coasting through my local

16CSVT2700

Established Member

I remember visiting Willesden Jnc on 3 seperate occasions within 1 year I think and changes were happening each time I visited.

1. 3rd rail
2. 3rd rail + Overheads
3. Overheads

Must have been the transition period between 3rd rail and OHLE. I remember the 1st gen DMMUs at Willesden Jnc High Level, mostly 121/122s, with the odd 117?

Status
Not open for further replies.