• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hst

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I realised today that if you spend an evening at leeds this week you would see HST from each company, (obviously FGW is on loan but it still in their full livery etc)

How rare is it that you could do that with a train so widespread. ie has it ever happened with 150s or other sprinter classes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's five companies with HSTs, six if you count NR, and three of them serve Leeds on a daily basis as it is. You won't see a GC HST there though surely?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You used to see it every week in Devon when Virgin Cross Country hired in GNER and MML HSTs for Summer Saturday extras. There was only four HST operators back then though (well Virgin was two companies really but you get the idea)

Eagle

Established Member
What about the bright yellow one that Network Rail own for surveying purposes (I'll remember what it's called in a minute...)? Where'll that be?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What about the bright yellow one that Network Rail own for surveying purposes (I'll remember what it's called in a minute...)? Where'll that be?

You mean the NMT aka The Flying Banana?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
i excluded NMT at it isnt passeneger but completely forgot grand central ah well.... :( how can i forget GC!!!

Lampshade

Established Member
York.

GC HSTs, EC HSTs, XC HSTs, EMT set on hire (possible), FGW set on hire (possible) and the NMT.

Hydro

Established Member
NMT is a pretty frequent visitor to Leeds, it has a couple diagrams through there.

4SRKT

Established Member
Doesn't the EMT on hire set work a diagram that goes Leeds > London > Newcastle > London > Leeds, meaning it will pass through York twice daily?

4SRKT

Established Member
XC HSTs only work diagrams that go between York and Sheffield via Leeds, not Doncaster.

Pumbaa

Established Member
XC HSTs only work diagrams that go between York and Sheffield via Leeds, not Doncaster.

On certain Sunday's like last Sunday, they go via both (York - Leeds - Doncaster - Sheffield).

4SRKT

Established Member
Is the FGW set out on Sundays though? It must be booked maintenance sometimes. In short, is it ever possible to see booked workings by all the TOCS' HSTs (forget the NMT, that's too unpredictable) on the same day at the same station?

MCR247

Established Member
Is the FGW set out on Sundays though? It must be booked maintenance sometimes. In short, is it ever possible to see booked workings by all the TOCS' HSTs (forget the NMT, that's too unpredictable) on the same day at the same station?

The FGW set is now back at FGW :)

Doesn't the EMT on hire set work a diagram that goes Leeds > London > Newcastle > London > Leeds, meaning it will pass through York twice daily?

The on hire one doesnt have any fixed workings but does have to be back at Neville Hill overnight, its very likely it will work either a York or Newcastle terminator though

4SRKT

Established Member
The on hire one doesnt have any fixed workings but does have to be back at Neville Hill overnight, its very likely it will work either a York or Newcastle terminator though

It certainly used to work to Newcastle before the May timetable change, starting on the 08:40 ex Leeds, then to Newcastle and back before a Leeds terminator to get back to NL. How many HST diagrams start and finish at NL anyway?

It certainly used to work to Newcastle before the May timetable change, starting on the 08:40 ex Leeds, then to Newcastle and back before a Leeds terminator to get back to NL. How many HST diagrams start and finish at NL anyway?

Yes thats correct it did, that set is now east coasts and doesnt always stable at NL anymore. The other EMT set is just on hire and seems to pop up anywhere.
The only 2 HST diagrams im sure start and finish at NL is the 0700 ex Hull and the 0710 Lds-Aberdeen, i believe the 0728 ex Harrogate goes to Inverness (i think?) but the other HSTs off NL (0720 ex Lincoln, 0655 ex Skipton and the 0605 LDS-KX) may finish at Leeds but i couldnt be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.