• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

hst's on trans pennine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Not that bizarre actually. In those days, the frequency was hourly between Manchester & Leeds, with a few local services in between. Nowadays, it's a 3 car train every 15 minutes as well as local services.
Ah, good point. I forgot about the marked improvement in frequency.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester025

Not that bizarre actually. In those days, the frequency was hourly between Manchester & Leeds, with a few local services in between. Nowadays, it's a 3 car train every 15 minutes as well as local services.

And yet the trains are still wedged...

VideozVideoz

I remember standing on a Southbound platform at Stockport station (20 years ago?) helping a couple onto an already departing train. The train was 'Trans-Pennine Express' and was a HST. I presume it was going to Sheffield but where would it have gone after then?

40fan

I'm 99% sure it is, the railways were in choas and the HST was kicked out to do the 1149 York - Lime Street & 1405 return. If fotopic was still alive I would post a link to a phot at St Helens from someone who did it to there from Lime Street. There was even a short piece on 'BBC North West' or whatever the equivalent was back then.

That is the information I have also. The adverse weather caused a major stock shortage and a HST set was allocated to work the train Chester025 mentions above.

Chester025

It was 1M63 1150 York – Liverpool & 1505 Liverpool – York return. Power cars were 43176 (leading from York) & 43175. 18th December 1981. Some phots taken by John Mahon:

Attachments

• HST ST HELENS.jpg
    HST ST HELENS.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 30
  • HST LIME STREET.jpg
    HST LIME STREET.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 26
  • HST LIME STREET II.jpg
    HST LIME STREET II.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 26

theblackwatch

Established Member
It was 1M63 1150 York – Liverpool & 1505 Liverpool – York return. Power cars were 43176 (leading from York) & 43175. 18th December 1981. Some phots taken by John Mahon:

Excellent stuff, that really is a big HST working. I wonder how many of the 'Valenta Massive' were out for it? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.