• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HSTs to Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

So I have a couple of hours free on Wednesday this week, and I was thinking of getting some HST haulage from Paddington to Reading and back. Before I book, can someone tell me if all fast (ie, ~30 min) Paddington - Reading and return services are HST hauled?

Also, the National Rail website tells me the best ticket for my journey is the Thames Branches Day Ranger, available for £10.85 with a Network Rail card. I assume, given that it's a ranger, that there are no restrictions on times? I'll be travelling after 7pm on a weekday.

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Most are HSTs. There are some Turbos to Oxford and beyond however.

You can tell which services are HSTs in FGW timetables by the "H" symbol at the top of each column.

NSEFAN

Established Member
All services to the west country (penzance, plymouth, paignton) and wales (cardiff, swansea) and bristol will be HSTs. This is the bulk of the fast trains to Reading. Some of the Worcester and Oxford services are also HSTs.

IIRC the FGW timetables will tell you which ones are which.

EDIT: beaten to it :P

I am unsure of the restrictions on the Thames Valley Day Ranger, but I SUSPECT that off peak travel after a certain time will allow any train to be used in the permitted area. Hopefully someone else will confirm that!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
National Rail Enquiries for a long time had incorrect prices for this ranger; I'm not sure if the price you've quoted is correct but it sounds about right.

The ranger has the same restrictions as the Off Peak Day Return (CDR) if I remember correctly, so the first fast after the evening peak would be either the 1922 (maybe turbo) or 1930 (defo HST). If you're only planning one return trip the CDR will be cheaper, the ranger of course gives you unlimited trips.

Info from memory so apologies if wrong!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The 1922 runs to Hereford. All weekday FGW services to HFD are HSTs.

Thanks, think I remember it now. Heaving :)

Of course, it's easy to see how a train is formed as soon as the platform is announced (except the suburban services, which won't be of interest anyway).

D1009

Established Member
So I have a couple of hours free on Wednesday this week, and I was thinking of getting some HST haulage from Paddington to Reading and back. Before I book, can someone tell me if all fast (ie, ~30 min) Paddington - Reading and return services are HST hauled?

The only HSTs from Padd towards Oxford after 1900 are the 1922, 2020 and 2148. From Reading the 2055, 2126 and 2259. The pocket timetables aren't always right.

D1009

Established Member
Yes you can get substiutions if they're short of sets, but things have been OK of late.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
OP is only going Pad to Rdg though, and there's plenty of HSTs there, the 2345 being the last down service.

route:oxford

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries for a long time had incorrect prices for this ranger; I'm not sure if the price you've quoted is correct but it sounds about right.

The ranger has the same restrictions as the Off Peak Day Return (CDR) if I remember correctly, so the first fast after the evening peak would be either the 1922 (maybe turbo) or 1930 (defo HST). If you're only planning one return trip the CDR will be cheaper, the ranger of course gives you unlimited trips.

Info from memory so apologies if wrong!

There are some easements though - based on if the service was a former Thames Trains fast rather than a Great Western fast.

16:49
17:50

Are both valid with a Thames Rover, there may be more...

simonm

Isn't the 2345 the sleeper?

23:50 is the sleeper from PAD. It is scheduled as "u" at Reading ie picks up only. You might be lucky and not get in trouble for alighting at Reading from PAD.

TEW

Established Member
Generally not valid on fast services between 1600 and 1915 inclusive. The exceptions are:
1618 Paddington-Bedwyn (Turbo)
1622 Paddington-Oxford (HST)
1706 Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads via Trowbridge (HST)
1718 Paddington-Oxford (Turbo)
1806 Paddington-Frome (HST)
1818 Paddington-Oxford (Turbo)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are some easements though - based on if the service was a former Thames Trains fast rather than a Great Western fast.

16:49
17:50

Are both valid with a Thames Rover, there may be more...

The 16:49 and 17:50 are both restricted with a Thames Rover.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is. The last I can see is the 2330 Cardiff Central via Bristol Temple Meads.

That's the one. Knew it was a south Wales train, couldn't remember whether Cardiff or Swansea. I was probably thinking of the 2245 which is my usual late evening steed. Now I think of it, I remember that there's always people on the 2330 asking for the time of the connexion to Swansea.

I'm doubtful that you'd be let on the sleeper for Reading, but you can always ask.

antharro

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went for the Thames Branches Rover and am on the 1930 service to Weston-Super-Mare. Will see what there is for the journey back. Standing room only. Still, not as bad as the Victoria line at rush hour! :D

Last edited:

ole man

23:50 is the sleeper from PAD. It is scheduled as "u" at Reading ie picks up only. You might be lucky and not get in trouble for alighting at Reading from PAD.
23.45 is the sleeper to Penzance, and it is not HST, dragged by a 57

Status
Not open for further replies.