• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huddersfield Barriers get Cat Flap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf734

Unexpected consequences of barrier installation at Huddersfield - Felix the station cat couldn't get through them so they were modified to include a cat flap!

This story from the Daily Express raised a smile this morning!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/407366/Purrrfect-station-cat-gets-her-own-VIP-ticket-barrier

Tom Morgan in The Express said:
Purrrfect...station cat gets her own VIP ticket barrier

FELIX the cat thought her days as official *station mouse catcher were over when automatic ticket barriers were installed.

The stray was adopted two years ago by staff at Huddersfield station in West Yorkshire.

But she found she could not get through the new high-security barriers, designed to combat fare dodgers.

She was distraught when the barriers came into use this month.

So train operator First TransPennine Express installed a special cat flap.

A company spokesman said: “After spotting Felix having kittens about alterations to her platform catwalk, we hope the bespoke cat flap which sits within the gate’s barriers will make her life easier.”

(read more)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I visited Huddersfield recently and saw Felix roaming around the station, she seems quite adept at knowing when it's safe to cross the tracks. Glad that TPE have come up with a decent solution for her, and also spotted a good PR opportunity at the same time :lol:

Oswyntail

Established Member
Any self respecting cat would be able to jump over (or maybe go under) those barriers.
And who says Felix can't. A truly self-respecting cat would sit and demand imperiously that their slave do something about this silly barrier - and then jump over it, ignoring the new cat-flap.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I visited Huddersfield recently and saw Felix roaming around the station, she seems quite adept at knowing when it's safe to cross the tracks. Glad that TPE have come up with a decent solution for her, and also spotted a good PR opportunity at the same time :lol:

Hope someone checked the cat had the right competencies for track access and was wearing full hi viz, boots, skid lid, goggles and gloves! Perhaps it uses a TVP, but surely pest control would be classed as working! ;)

(not sure if a cat wears one pair of boots and one pair of gloves or 2 pairs of boots! ;);))

fsmr

Was the cat purchased or just turned up as a stray does anyone know?

Many factories used to have their own cats for pest control but seems to have gone by the wayside these days

Nice story though

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It is a stray - lots of cats get adopted by station staff. There was one at Northallerton last time I was up there.

Totally nonplussed at crossing 125mph running lines after trains had passed!

Butts

Veteran Member
It would be nice if more Stations had their own Cat as they are a soothing presence for a lot of people.

Perhaps they could issue a little "BR Cat Cap" or collar and customised food and water bowls for use by the station felines. :p

callum112233

I do like a funny cat story :D

Sad thing is, how long before a moron vandalises it? I could see an ale-trailer trying to crawl through that.

wensley

Established Member
There was one at Northallerton last time I was up there.

Totally nonplussed at crossing 125mph running lines after trains had passed!

Brian! He does have a home close to the station, but certainly likes his trains :) If I remember rightly he has made it to York on at least on occasion

tsr

Established Member
There is a cat which occasionally wanders the tracks near Dorking Deepdene. It has caused delays on at least one occasion by standing on the rails and refusing to budge. The driver was able to stop and wasn't willing to run it over! I think that was early last year.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Amazing how a cursory view of a thread title on an index page can severely affect my understanding, as I assumed an "up-North" gritty image was to be discussed, having thought the thread title said:-

Huddersfield barriers get Flat-Cap....:oops:

Lockwood

Amazing how a cursory view of a thread title on an index page can severely affect my understanding, as I assumed an "up-North" gritty image was to be discussed, having thought the thread title said:-

Huddersfield barriers get Flat-Cap....:oops:

I saw that at first too

High Dyke

Established Member
And who says Felix can't. A truly self-respecting cat would sit and demand imperiously that their slave do something about this silly barrier - and then jump over it, ignoring the new cat-flap.
That's assuming the 'slave' is there to open the barrier...and hasn't forgotten to do it before going for a break.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Aw, good on TPE for doing this for her. I do love a nice cat story. :D

Wonder how many stations have their own cats these days.

Ivo

Established Member
Aww :)

...not much else to say really is there?

Good on Huddersfield for doing this. I hope Felix and friends have a happy life together on the station!

Butts

Veteran Member

I had a thread on it a while back but I can't find the link - perhaps someone smarter than me can find it. From my recollection there quite a few Moggies dispersed around the network.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Like the pictures of Brian - suprised he's not called Sooty.

As for those clay excavators not quite so pretty but interesting :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm shocked that an RPI hasn't tried to give the cat a penalty fare followed by a prosecution.

If it was Hartlepool Station they would probably have hanged the poor puss as a French Spy :p

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Can't believe I'd never seen Felix around considering how often I'm at Huddersfield station. Apparently Wivenhoe has/had a cat, and there's a ginger tomcat that often hangs around Denby Dale begging strokes and occasional treats from passengers. Bridgwater also seems to be a popular hangout for the local moggies.

wensley

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.