• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huddersfield-Man Vic stopper in new timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddingdonkey

(I can't find an existing thread on this but please point me in the right direction if there is one)

From the new timetable there are some very curious changes to the Huddersfield - Man Vic stopper, with journeys from Huddersfield being extended to Wigan Wallgate (or Southport in a few cases), and the return working starting from Blackpool North.

I'm struggling to get my head around what such an unbalanced timetable achieves?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Interworking between different routes can make much more efficient use of the stock - rather than terminating units sitting around for a long time at Man Vic waiting for the next service to where they've just come from, it often makes more sense to drop them onto another working instead. If you're going to do that, and it'd result in a fairly short dwell at Man Vic, you might as well advertise it as a through service!

Another example is (or was, not sure) Scunthorpe - Lincoln via Sheffield, Lincoln - Adwick via Sheffield, Adwick - Sheffield and Sheffield - Scunthorpe.

1D53

Established Member
Better utilisation of stock and preventing from blocking the through platforms at Man Victoria which TPE now require to be kept free.

Moonshot

Established Member
Sometimes what you see on paper and what it represents at the coalface are two differing scenarios. As 1D53 points out, some of these changes free up space on the 4 through platforms at Victoria. As I work there, this is no surprise, and in fact the ideal situation would be for no train to terminate on the through platforms. Its actually totally irrelevant where the start and end points are for each service...........and in fact may do the passenger a favour if they want to alight at Salford Central if they are arriving from the east side of Vic.

Dunc108

They really need to get those 2 extra platforms open at Salford Central to increase capacity on the line into Victoria, it had always provided some kind of relief for Victoria with its extra platforms. It went into decline when only peak hour services stopped there, but now all kinds of services stop there all day and its probably the busiest its ever been and will probably get busier, they've done a tidy job with the concourse but the platforms need sorting - and raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.