• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huddersfield Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrez

Evening all.

I've spent the majority of this evening googling the old layout of Huddersfield Railway Station - largely after a discussion at my work about where platforms 3 and 7 used to be and about platform 9 which has been muted in the local paper.

I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea of the old layout - I asked an older friend who is a driver but he's always known Hudds as it currently is - although he did mention rumours of plans of redoing the layout when the station is getting readied for electrification - a much needed improvement!

Anyway, any help would be appreciated - I did find one image but it only shows the layout be the tunnel towards Manchester.

hudds.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
My 1988 Quail Map shows what I presume is platform 3 (they only included platform numbers on the through lines - 1, 4 and 8) as an east end bay behind platform 1. I presume number 7 was a west end bay platform on the 4-8 island, but that's just a guess as I can't see where else it would ever have been!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
... And if it's of interest, the same page on Quail also shows no third platforms at Marsden, Mirfield or Bradford Forster Square, no through line at Dewsbury and no platform on the Up line across the north end of Shipley.

Welshman

Established Member
IIIC, platform 3 was a short eastern-facing bay at the end of platform 1, and, as you summise, platform 7 was a very, very short western-facing bay in the 4/8 island.

Platform 7 could never have been long enough to accommodate a passenger service, and I wonder if it was used to park a parcels van for loading/unloading during the day, or a coal wagon to replenish the station fires.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's interesting. I'd never realised that the Penistone bay was once part of the through platform.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That's interesting. I'd never realised that the Penistone bay was once part of the through platform.

Which must be at least part of the reason why TPE trains can't easily be lengthened beyond about six cars when much longer trains ran in the past. Should the bay be moved to where the Mk1 coach is parked (or was, as it may have been removed or rusted into nothing by now!) to restore the original platform length?

Crossover

Established Member
Ah, so p1 was significantly widened and built over the track bed of the original through line - interesting!

I always believed p7 was that semi platform face you can see on the approach to p8 and it may be this that you can see in the junction at the bottom left of the picture?

I know Mirfield p3 was a recent addition (telltale sign being the wooden construction!) and there may have been quad track here at one time (up and down main and up and down relief?) with a huge shed over what is now the p1/2 island

Dewsbury used to be quad tracked in the dim and distant past, with it rationalised to 2 track and the single through line added more recently (I think I read here that one of our members had something to do with the work to commission this as well as some other junction works in the area)

Senex

Established Member
I know Mirfield p3 was a recent addition (telltale sign being the wooden construction!) and there may have been quad track here at one time (up and down main and up and down relief?) with a huge shed over what is now the p1/2 island.
Quad from Brighouse to Wakefield with the fasts on the south side as far as Horbury & Ossett and then in the middle on to Wakefield (this bit reversed when Healey Mills was built). So at Mirfield there were no platforms serving the fasts.

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
I know Mirfield p3 was a recent addition (telltale sign being the wooden construction!) and there may have been quad track here at one time

The LMS quadrupled the railway through Mirfield in 1932.

(up and down main and up and down relief?)

Fast and Slow. Mirfield ain't GWR territory. ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
7 at Huddersfield could, if added now, perhaps be 40m (The same as 5 at the other end) so would hold a 2-car 150. It could have been longer before the signal box was added in the 1950s but I don't believe it ever was.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which must be at least part of the reason why TPE trains can't easily be lengthened beyond about six cars when much longer trains ran in the past. Should the bay be moved to where the Mk1 coach is parked (or was, as it may have been removed or rusted into nothing by now!) to restore the original platform length?

The Mk1 is still in the old platform 2. 3 I believe was the parcels bay at the other end of P1 which also stabled a "spare" locomotive. Extension of 1 now would have to be done at the Leeds end, there is also a plan to extend the current platform 2 (and all platforms to Barnsley) to 60m to allow 3-car 150s.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Ah, so p1 was significantly widened and built over the track bed of the original through line - interesting!

I always believed p7 was that semi platform face you can see on the approach to p8 and it may be this that you can see in the junction at the bottom left of the picture?

I know Mirfield p3 was a recent addition (telltale sign being the wooden construction!) and there may have been quad track here at one time (up and down main and up and down relief?) with a huge shed over what is now the p1/2 island

Dewsbury used to be quad tracked in the dim and distant past, with it rationalised to 2 track and the single through line added more recently (I think I read here that one of our members had something to do with the work to commission this as well as some other junction works in the area)

Mirfield used to have some bay platforms. For example, see:

http://www.myrailwaystation.co.uk/R...42384 standing at the platform c 1954_jpg.htm

At one time, these would have been used for Spen Valley services to Low Moor & Bradford Exchange.

alexl92

Established Member
Does anyone know what, if any, firm-ish plans are in place for Huddersfield's layout in the future? And wouldn't the viaduct have to be widened if the platforms were exnteded any further towards Leeds?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what, if any, firm-ish plans are in place for Huddersfield's layout in the future? And wouldn't the viaduct have to be widened if the platforms were exnteded any further towards Leeds?

Looking at the aerial mapping, part of the width of the viaduct is either vacant or occupied by access to the sidings beyond the platforms. If the sidings were eliminated or accessed from the other end then plaform 8 could be slewed across to use the span over John William Street currently used by the non-platform track beyond. It could then extend over the viaduct as far as necessary. Along with the modification to platforms 1 and 2 at the other end, this would give an ideal layout with outer platforms long enough for any train likely to use them and shorter platforms in between for terminating services and shorter slower ones being overtaken.

This is of course my speculation and not any sort of official proposal!

55z

Too answer lots of questions. The last I heard is that an additional platform (9) is a dead duck. there is at least a coach length available to extend platform 1 eastward before the viaduct this will allow platform 2 bay to be extended hopefully so a 3 car 158 can fit in although the plan is for 3 car 150's to replace the 3 car pacers on the Penistone branch. Platform 2 was where the Mark 1 coach is now. In order to have a bay platorm 2 platform 1 was extended outward. Platform 7 is where the 1958 signal box is now. Platform 3 was the "burton"bay where the large tarmac area is at the east end of platform 1 - "Buton" bay as this is where the Kirkburton branch trains used to go from. Incidently the east (down) tunnel had to be singled as a train grazed the tunnel walls and to solve the problem the second track was removed and the other train relocated into the middle of the tunnel - problem solved.

Veteran Member
You can download the 1958 layout here.

V interesting from a signalling point of view:

P2 (the old Penistone bay) is departures only.

P3 is not signalled for passengers at all (shunt signals only).
P7 is signalled for arrivals only (probably only for shunts)

PS at Shipley even the present P2 is pretty new (mid 70s?)

Last edited:

Mike511

Originally Posted by Railsigns
You can download the 1958 layout here.

Brilliant PDF file, thanks for sharing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.