• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huddersfield Station below ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
Courtesy of Huddersfield Examiner.

Thousands of people pass through Huddersfield Railway Station every day - but less than a handful will know that just below their feet is a labyrinth of tiny rooms, passageways - and even a disused subway.

The Grade I Listed station was built by two rival companies, Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company, and Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/explore-hidden-labyrinth-secret-rooms-11449211

The foundation stone was laid by Lord Lieutenant Josh Fitzwilliam on October 9, 1846, and a public holiday was declared with church bells ringing all day.

The first train arrived in Huddersfield on August 2, 1847, and the station was finally completed in 1850.

Explore the hidden labyrinth of secret rooms beneath Huddersfield Railway Station. Beneath the platform lies a rabbit warren of disused rooms

Originally the Head of Steam and Kings Head pubs were ticket offices for the two train companies, and beneath the platforms were railway offices, coal rooms a first class lounge and a lamp room.

An original 19th century fireplace in one of the rooms beneath the station

Today the rooms are mainly disused and lie in darkness, full of dust and dirt.

But they also lead to a disused subway, which is visible from platform 1 - gaps in the tunnel ceiling can be seen covered by mesh grills between platform 1 and 2.

English Heritage has named it one of their favourite stations, with one of the reasons being that it is “fronted by a magnificent classical portico.”

We broadcast our visit live on Facebook - watch the full thing here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Between platforms 1 and 2? Is that an error?

(Can't check the link as I'm on a mobile and the Examiner website is hideous for touch screen users!)

55z

This is another case of a reporter not checking facts and misreporting. The disused subway is between platforms 1 & 4 and is visible from the platforms - look under the platform edges but from the opposite platform. This subway was used for parcels and goods only. I have been under the station buildings into the cellars a couple of times by arrangement of the station management.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suppose you'd assume 4 was 2 if you forgot about the Penistone bay... really, 1 and 2 should be the other way round, 4 should be 3, and 5, 6, and 8 should be 4, 5 and 6. For the local paper to make such an error is a bit much though. I guess many of the reporters behind Examiner articles are based at other Mirror Group sites though these days. :roll:

noddingdonkey

The Examiner's attention to detail is well known, it's hardly surprising that they got that wrong.

Eeveevolve

The Examiner's attention to detail is well known, it's hardly surprising that they got that wrong.

Especially their weather reports, either completely inaccurate, or telling us of a heatwave while we are already out in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.