• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Paragon Station acccessible entrance closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
There are items in several newspapers, and an online petition, regarding TPE's decision to close the accessible entrance at Hull Paragon station for a trial period, apparently due to antomisocial behaviour The Daily Mirror (below) reports that a disabled man was refused access, despite TPE saying that staff would open it on request.

Does anyone know the background to this? Unless TPE are going to have a member of staff physically present continually during the hours the gate is closed, and accept that not all disabilities are visible, I cannot see how it will wotrk.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disabled-man-stopped-using-exit-18323667

'Disabled man stopped from using exit as he 'doesn't look disabled'
Daniel Eastwood was asked where his walking stick or wheelchair was when he tried to explain he had a disability to staff at Hull Paragon Station

A disabled musician claims he was banned from using a railway station exit because he "did not look disabled".

Daniel Eastwood was born with a limb length disorder, meaning his left leg is shorter than the right and his hips are not in line, as his spine is not straight.

The 32-year-old said the condition causes pain when he walks long distances and he has a visible limp.

Mr Eastwood claims he was told he could not leave through the gate at Hull Paragon, which is supposed to double as a disabled exit, as he "was not using a stick or in a wheelchair".

He told Hull Live : "I was getting picked up from the station by a taxi at the Anlaby Road exit, and had a heavy backpack and suitcase to carry, so headed towards there to get out.

Daniel Eastwood said:
"I got stopped by a security guard on the door, and got told that I couldn't get out that way as it was just for disabled access.

"So I then said to her, 'oh well, I'm disabled, so you will be able to let me out then', and she just looked me up and down and said to me: 'well, you don't look disabled'.

"I did a double take and told her that not every disability was visible.

"Then, another guard came over to me and also said that they wouldn't be letting me out as she said I had been seen walking perfectly fine, even though I clearly walk with a limp and was in a lot of pain from walking about.

"They obviously thought that I was just trying to pull a fast one."

Mr Eastwood claimed a British Transport Police officer then asked him "where his stick or wheelchair was" if he was disabled,

He had no option but to walk all the way out the Ferensway exit and out to the Anlaby Road side of the station.
The gate is locked as part of a crime reduction plan
It doubles as a disabled exit.

He said: "I felt abused, discriminated against and was quite angry with how I was treated. I shouldn't have needed to explain my disability and it was so embarrassing," said Mr Eastwood.

"I'm not bothered about me though, I just don't want the same thing to happen to anyone else that has a disability that can't clearly be seen, and these staff need more training on recognising this as you can't just judge a book on it's cover.

"I treat people with respect and expect the same back, but the way I was treated made me feel degraded and like a second class citizen.

"I got bullied at school and people still pass comments now that makes me feel insecure about my condition.

"I'm meant to wear a wedge in my shoes to correct how I walk, but I find it uncomfortable and it's also hard to find the right shoes that fit with it in.

He says he was made to feel like a second class citizen(Image: Hull Live)

"I am who I am, and I shouldn't have to hide it."

Mr Eastwood says he made official complaints to TransPennine Express and British Transport Police following the incident, which happened on Tuesday, July 9 at around 2pm.

A spokesperson from TransPennine Express said: “We are aware of a complaint that was made to a station supervisor on Tuesday 9 July.

"There is an ongoing investigation into this complaint and until that investigation is completed, we are unable to comment any further.”

The Police Standards Department say they have received no complaints from Mr Eastwood.

Hull Paragon Interchange bosses made the decision to close the exit to combat “significant” problems with antisocial behaviour.

Transpennine Express – the company responsible for managing Hull's train station – announced a three-month trial to shut the Anlaby Road exit from June 17.

It is closed every day between 9.30am and 4.30pm with rail chiefs hoping it will reduce the amount of antisocial behaviour in the area, including the number of attacks on railway staff.

Anyone with a disability who needs to use the Anlaby Road exit or entrance during the seven-hour closure should be able to get the gate opened for them by station staff upon request.'

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Legolash2o

Being from Hull, I can say it's completely stupid. The guard should just be there to make sure no one is messing around.

HullRailMan

The background is that levels of anti-social behaviour have gone up in and around the station. Closing the gate during the daytime along with playing classical music over the PA system are their tactics to combat it, debatable how effective that will be.

TPE do employ security guards and there is a BTP station in the building, opposite platform 7. However, I’ve seen the guards just stand and observe people without getting involved numerous times. There is also a favourite smoking spot outside the police station under the roof which seems to constantly go unchallenged. So, while the bad behaviour is wrong and the individuals themselves are responsible, if security and police seemingly do nothing to challenge it, how will it stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.