• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Pullman in 1970's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confistoat

Hi Everyone,

New member here, so please forgive me if this is not the appropriate area to ask this question.

In 1972 we emigrated from the UK to Australia. The first part of our journey was on the Hull Pullman from Hull Paragon to London Kings Cross.

As my parents didn't own a camera, we have no photographs of this occasion in our family history.

I am trying to find some pictures of the train as it would have looked in 1972, the actual date was 11 October 1972. If I remember correctly (I was only 7) the locomotive was green, and the coaches blue.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I can't find anything online picture wise.
But it's a 'Deltic' Class 55, and the Hull Pullman was renamed the Hull Executive in June 1978. The loco was green (edit: in 1978 a Hull Executive is green), and coaches blue so good memories.

The Hull Pullman featues in the opening scenes of 1971 film Get Carter (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
IIRC by October 1972 all the Deltics had received full Rail Blue livery, re: coaches, I think mk1 Pullman stock would have been the order of the day wearing the reverse blue/grey Pullman type livery, with perhaps some standard mk1 & early mk2 vehicles in the set, still looking for pictures at the moment to confirm.

jimm

Established Member
Mid-1970s rather than 1972, the Hull Pullman leaving Kings Cross

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5493/10456406363_2bbe3c82d9_b.jpg

1974 - the Pullman cars at at the rear of the train

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5222/5664723874_bce044c337_b.jpg

Another from 1974 with a Deltic in charge

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8219507235

Locos in blue in these but in 1972 there would have been some still in use in the old green livery, perhaps a Class 47, given the note about when Deltics first appeared on the Hull Pullman in the caption to the picture linked to above.

Maybe this model depicts what you are thinking of, bar the first Pullman in the old livery.

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/robertcwp/media/Layout/P1040203s.jpg.html

There has been a fair amount of discussion of the old BR Eastern/North Eastern Region Pullmans on the rmweb.co.uk website, and a fair few pictures posted but the site doesn't seem to want to load at the moment.

D1009

Established Member
I can't find anything online picture wise.
But it's a 'Deltic' Class 55, and the Hull Pullman was renamed the Hull Executive in June 1978. The loco was green (edit: in 1978 a Hull Executive is green), and coaches blue so good memories.
My recollection is that pre HST days the Deltics were employed on Anglo-Scottish and West Yorkshire trains, but it would have happened occasionally.(Edit) Thinking on, I think the up train may have been booked for one but not the down.

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
Bit of (connected) trivia. When the Pullmans were withdrawn and the train was re-named, "The Hull Executive" the down journey was first stop Retford. The fastest train in the UK wasn't something electrical out of Euston but was the down Hull Executive which had a 90 mph+ average speed.
Not bad going for a train with a top speed of 100 mph.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There is a comment on one of the photo links above from a former steward on the Hull Pullman who suggests they didn't get Deltics until 1976? Also have never seen one of those Metcam Pullmans in that colour-very odd!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There is a comment on one of the photo links above from a former steward on the Hull Pullman who suggests they didn't get Deltics until 1976? Also have never seen one of those Metcam Pullmans in that colour-very odd!

Just done a bit more reading...the book in front of me "The Deltic Years" states that 1976 was the first year that saw regular Deltic turns on the Hull to Doncaster line with the 03:56 from Doncaster and 06:45 up 'Hull Pullman' being among the first turns booked for Deltic haulage, it seems Deltics did occasionally work the trains before this time along with Peaks and (more commonly)class 47's, a few of which still remained in two tone green livery at the time of the OP's journey back in 1972.

Confistoat

Well done Guys, thanks for all the info. In my memory I am certain the loco was green as I thought it unusual at the time, especially with th eblue coaches, and also most trains I travel don being in the BR blue livery, being a 'train mad' seven year old, so chances it was a 47 then ?

Capybara

I've just come to this but from memory endorse everything that has been said so far. There were no green Deltics still around in 1972, in fact I'm pretty sure there weren't any into the 1970s at all. I'm pretty sure all Eastern Region based Peaks were blue by 1972 as well which means it could only really have been a class 47, with full yellow ends as in the model pictured.

DEREKM1959

If this helps, I lived 15 mins walk from Hull Paragon Station up until 1975, if i was up early enough, could often hear the Deltic idling waiting for departure, As a youngster and eager rail fan i often spent my school holidays travelling pre -Hull Executive Years, Had to give the breakfast car a try, up until mid 70`s when i traveled on the Hull Pullman it was a class 47 hauling when i traveled on this service, but that was only upto 1973 time. may have been 1974. the same for the return journey, i got to know some of the drivers, use to be in the cab as it moved from its Hull Pullman Return service and backed onto service to Doncaster, Im not sure exactly when the Deltic took over as my intrests changed slightly,,,the girls came along....lol. Hope this helps a little, felt it maybe useful with me living so close,,, could see Botanic Gardens shed from my house.. feel free to contact me on email [email protected], Im also on facebook... cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.