Hull Trains cancellations due to acute shortage of available rolling stock

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by humbersidejim, 12 Oct 2018.

1. 43096

43096 Established Member

You suspect. So you’re guessing.

2. 43096

43096 Established Member

I’m not getting into that debate again. What I will say is that company directors have an obligation to their owners. Go figure.

3. 53703

53703 Member

1848 London - Beverley started at Grantham tonight due to "Train being late leaving depot"

4. westv

westv Established Member

More recovery of delay repay costs. The cheapest first release AP ticket on the Monday morning service to Kings Cross was £53. It went to £63 when I originally posted and today's release is at £65. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. robbeech

robbeech Established Member

Am I right in thinking (think I read on here quite recently) that Hull Trains ‘control’ is in York as the cancellations this evening whilst blamed on more trains than usual needing repair but has also been put down to the power issues at York?

6. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was under the impression that 'control' functions are provided by TPE which would mean they'd be in Manchester ROC?

Last edited: 3 Dec 2018
  7. robbeech

How odd, they’ve mentioned it as a contributor for tonight’s cancellations and people’s delays. Maybe I misunderstood.

8. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

I guess it is still possible. I suspect a queue of trains formed in the York area. It is possible (but unlikely) this queue blocked the route to Selby.

However they could be “doing a GTR” and finding a nice major incident and attributing everything to it.

9. robbeech

Surely after everything they’ve been through they wouldn’t attempt that

I mean I know they cancelled half of their services the other day due to damage to the overhead wires but.....

10. DaiGog

DaiGog Member

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
    Major disruption, such as yesterday evening at York, causes congestion and means trains run out of their normal sequence. This in turn causes, and contributes to, delays.

11. DaiGog

DaiGog Member

Pricing to the market in relation to demand, just like any other AP ticket sold by any operator!

12. robbeech

Are you suggesting demand for Hull Trains services has gone up?

13. DaiGog

DaiGog Member

I'm suggesting that when tickets sell in decent quantities at a certain price, you wouldn't necessarily sell them cheaper if you didn't have to.

There is maybe room for HT to do some sort of goodwill / customer win-back type offer, but early Monday morning isn't the time to do it. The first southbound is full to capacity most days.

14. westv

westv Established Member

With their service at its worst ever for a number of months now fare increases, whatever the service, comes across as cynical.

15. Polarbear

Polarbear Established Member

It may come across that way, but the reality is that the fare increases will have been in the pipeline for a while now. If I were HT, I’d certainly consider some offers in the new year, once the 180 woes are sorted though.

16. Ben Bow

Ben Bow Member

Several planned cancellations again until Friday due to a shortage of units. Any progress on the HST's from GWR, or has that been quietly dropped?

17. 43096

43096 Established Member

A set was formed up by GWR but the idea seems to be “on hold” - issue appears to be daily servicing on the East Coast as Crofton have apparently told them to get lost to the idea of putting an HST on there for servicing.

18. Kieran1990

Kieran1990 Member

And I also doubt Neville Hill would be an option plus would they have the space or want any More HST work with LNER/EMT /XC sets there each night?

19. 43096

43096 Established Member

May well be difficult to get paths on and off depot more than anything, plus it is a Stagecoach depot so doubt First would be keen to use them. Likewise, Ferme Park and Bounds Green don’t have capacity, either.

20. DaiGog

DaiGog Member

Neville Hill (or indeed anywhere other than Ferme Park / Bounds Green) would require route learning for drivers, on top of the time taken to train them on the traction, so presents more problems. The plan to use an HST is still in progress, it hasn't been abandoned.

21. robbeech

Another one down today. I think that puts them back to 1 in service again.
    1033 (and subsequent 1348) planned cancellation but with acceptable all train alternatives and now 1233 (and subsequent 1548) cancelled. No doubt as that’s last minute that’ll end up as a 2 hour GTR a 2 hour bus a 2 hour pacer 45 minutes on the roof of a Bristol VR, a short ferry and a taxi ride for Retford passengers.

22. westv

westv Established Member

Omnishambles?

23. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

Neville Hill is full AFAIK which is why the ex GC EMT HSTs are allocated to Etches Park.

24. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

What about Doncaster Carr?
    It'll probably be expensive, but I don't believe it's very full as not many LNER 800s have been delivered.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2018
  25. talltim

talltim Established Member

Of course I'm guessing. But if you were hiring something as expensive as train, wouldn;t you make damn sure there's something in the conract about a certain amount of availability?

26. talltim

talltim Established Member

A seat on a working HT train has rarity value. Always appeals the collectors ;)

27. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

But HT are responsible for maintenance, not Angel...

28. IanXC

IanXC Emeritus Moderator

Heaton are about the closest depot with capacity and stock knowledge. Clearly that's some lengthy ECS moves and route learning, although I suppose with the ongoing over supply of traincrew at LNER due to their new timetable not yet being in, a contracted move isn't impossible?

29. DaiGog

DaiGog Member

Would be a question of whether LNER was willing to supply drivers to their competitor - and at a reasonable price.

30. IanXC

IanXC Emeritus Moderator

Well I suspect HT wouldn't be driving a hard bargain, and there is unused driver capacity...