Hunt for woman who 'burst into train driver's cabin to complain about delays'

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Saperstein, 8 Aug 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Ah, makes sense. No worries, the booked wait at that junction looked to be the issue though.

2. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

Well, seen as they have found the person they were looking for....

-Peter

3. Peter C

OK. I thought it was last Saturday!

-Peter

4. farleigh

farleigh Member

phew!

5. Peter C

This nameless woman we have been speaking about for ages is Mrs. Becki Buchanan (I think that's her first name), and she was the person who did everything this thread is on about!

-Peter

6. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

Had this been an aircraft cockpit or a ships bridge, what would this low IQ individual be looking at sentence wise?

7. LowLevel

LowLevel Established Member

You appear to have PMs disabled so I'm afraid I can't send you a brief summary of events as they actually occurred as with the pending possible legal action I don't want to get myself into hot water posting publically. Suffice to say the damage to the train was sufficient that it was cancelled at Hucknall.

8. farleigh

farleigh Member

Lot of outrage here.

Is it a little bit of a non-story?

'Somewhat rude person is rude to a train driver'

No big deal IMO and talk of fragile drivers withering beneath her words and cancelling services makes me smile.

And what would have happened if she had done this aboard the International Space Station??

9. Sprinter107

Sprinter107 Member

Who's,said anything about fragile train drivers ? So you think its acceptable for a train driver, or anyone else for that matter to have there workspace broken into and abused ?

10. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

Isn't it more a case of - person forces their way into a non-public area, potentially compromising safety. Appropriate action required.

BUT since that appropriate action may involve criminal prosecution perhaps we would be wise to let that take its course without undue speculation?

11. farleigh

farleigh Member

No - but I find it funny that people are so upset about it. It really is something and nothing.

I used the word fragile to describe anybody who would be to upset to continue a service after a few choice wordsfrom an unruly passenger. In the real world of course the train driver did not bail but there were some suggestions upthread that this would have been the correct course of action.

12. Sprinter107

Sprinter107 Member

How do you know that it was just a few words of choice ? It may or may not have been more than that. A driver needs absolute concentration, and if that driver has been threatened, or abused, may not be in the right state of mind to continue. It's not a case of being fragile. It's a case of self preservation. It takes all but a few seconds to make a mistake. And if the drivers mind is not as it should be, that driver may soon not be a driver.

13. HotelNovember

HotelNovember Member

But it’s not! Sadly this incident isn’t limited to the railway I imagine, it could happen in any public-facing role. It doesn’t make that behaviour acceptable (or even normal) what happened to people having some decency? Not got an issue if the woman wanted to raise a complaint, this wasn’t the way to go about it.

Unfortunately, far too many on here talk the talk, in reality, you wouldn’t know how you would react until they are faced with that situation, they either wouldn’t say boo to a goose, or break down and cry at the sign of being challenged.

14. LowLevel

How do you know the train didn't suffer additional damage that rendered it unsafe to operate due to said disorderly passengers? If someone breaks their way into my cab in any case I'm going to assume they have malicious intent regardless.

15. farleigh

farleigh Member

Funny - I have been threatened with far worse in my career including with a blade so lay off the lecture HN.

I am not saying it was acceptable. It is sad that people behave like this and I abhor it. However, it really was just a case of a stroppy person opening a door. No panic here.

:wub:

16. farleigh

farleigh Member

Oh - fair enough. I did not know it suffered additional damage. What damage was that?

17. GodAtum

GodAtum Established Member

As a passenger I would expect her to be made an example of. What would happen if she had done this while the train was moving and caused it to crash, killing 100s of people!

18. Sprinter107

Sprinter107 Member

Yes. I've also been threatened with a blade, and more recently a metal cosh. I get threats of violence quite often on some of the late trains, unprovoked. And yes, I've always carried on with the job in question. But we arent all the same. Please remember this fact. I wouldn't blame any driver for refusing to carry on, after having his cab broken into and being abused. As I said, its self preservation. One mistake, and that driver may not be a driver anymore.

19. mmh

mmh Established Member

What?! Perhaps not on a rail forum - unless you look at the bus sections on this one.

20. farleigh

farleigh Member

I share your sentiment but she won't be and if anybody is able to do what you suggest then there is a problem with security on our railway.

Anyway, she didn't.

21. Sprinter107

Sprinter107 Member

And I'm most certainly not a "fragile driver".of that I can assure you !!!

22. farleigh

farleigh Member

Fair comment sprinter - I take your point and you sound like a great member of staff.

Have a good evening.

23. Bromley boy

Bromley boy Established Member

^^^^^^^^^^

This. 100% this.

In the real world I have cancelled services for less than what has been described in this incident. Why? Because I want to keep a clean safety record and won’t risk driving if my head isn’t completely in the game.

If people consider me fragile for doing so, that’s fine by me. :D

24. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

It must be said that would be a very unlikely outcome.

25. farleigh

farleigh Member

I consider you fragile but we can't all be superheroes. :lol:

26. farleigh

farleigh Member

Yeah - bus drivers get heaps of strife but they tend to just get on with the job. Tough job that IMO.

27. LowLevel

I am not stating that it was the person in question that did it but on top of the cab door being kicked in a passenger communication alarm was ripped clean out of the wall which will generally cause game over on a 15x in any case.

28. farleigh

farleigh Member

Fair point - well made.

That is awful behaviour

29. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

Indeed.
    I was on the platform when the train arrived at Hucknall, and the driver was simply red

30. Bromley boy

Bromley boy Established Member

I go to work to drink tea and drive trains.

The minute anything more heroic than that is required, I’m heading straight back to the messroom ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.