• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hunterston

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawky22

Any one have a clue as to how many coal trains loaded leave Hunterston a day / or a week ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
At the moment, only three or four a day, because Longannet power station is
closed for a major upgrade, but normally 10-12 trains a day would be typical,
with most of them running to Longannet.

MARK

cawky22

Thanks Mark , I was wondering about the trains running South , I thought there would be more than 3 or 4 .

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thanks Mark , I was wondering about the trains running South , I thought there would be more than 3 or 4 .
Most Anglo-Scottish coal originates from Killoch/New Cumnock/Greenburn/
Ravenstruther these days.

Hunterston traffic typically comprises a couple of trains to Fiddlers Ferry,
plus two (sometimes three) to Cottam/West Burton.

MARK

cawky22

Mark do you know how many coal trains from Scotland are going to the power stations in England ? I heard about the double headers , did that not work ?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Mark do you know how many coal trains from Scotland are going to the power stations in England ? I heard about the double headers , did that not work ?
The double heading was a publicity stunt, IMO!

Regarding coal traffic, tonnages change from week to week,
depending on demand, but a typical figure on a 'good' day
(i.e no last minute cancellations) would be 16 trains in each
direction in a 24 hour period
, with around 70% operated by
FHH and the rest by DB

MARK

cawky22

what about GBRF trains , I have read they are running to Scotland too Mark

rail-britain

Established Member
As above, the number varies with demand
As we are in the summer season this is usually the quiet period, and can be up to 4 a day
Between October and March this can easily be double

cawky22

Yesterday off the Port of Tyne we had THREE coal ships waiting to come in with approx 160 000 ton on the 3 of them , I have never ever seen 3 waiting in the summer .

rail-britain

Established Member
Yesterday off the Port of Tyne we had THREE coal ships waiting to come in with approx 160 000 ton on the 3 of them , I have never ever seen 3 waiting in the summer .
In the summer the cost price is probably lower, so it makes sense for the power companies to order this for storage for several months

Freightmaster

Established Member
what about GBRF trains , I have read they are running to Scotland too Mark
Correct - there was a daily Hunterston to Ferrybridge train
until a couple of week ago, but that contract has now ceased.

MARK

cawky22

Thanks Mark , do you know how many power stations Tyne Dock is supplying coal to , there is only room for 10 different cargoes in the storage yard ?

Rail - Britain , I wonder where we can find out the price of coal as we often get it from New Orleans and also Russia and Riga here on the Tyne ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just found this and it looks like it drops a lot in the summer :-

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=coal-australian

looking at this graph , I am not sure now :-

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=coal-australian&months=60

Last edited:

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thanks Mark , do you know how many power stations Tyne Dock is supplying coal to...
Just Drax, Cottam/West Burton, Ferrybridge, Lynemouth and Wilton at present,
but other flows sometimes operate in Winter.

MARK

cawky22

Hers a good question I would like to know how many coal trains a day does drax swallow up and how many biomass in a day ?

, I heard Port of Tyne take 3 hours to load the silo that the trains run through as the conveyor is very slow to take the 1200 tons up the to the silo.Have they ever hit the 8 per 24 hours ?

Established Member
Visited Drax last year and they said then that their biomass use was around 20-25% of everything combusted - however they do get some things in through the Port of Goole so won't be as much coming from Tyne Dock.

matchmaker

Established Member
Hers a good question I would like to know how many coal trains a day does drax swallow up and how many biomass in a day ?

, I heard Port of Tyne take 3 hours to load the silo that the trains run through as the conveyor is very slow to take the 1200 tons up the to the silo.Have they ever hit the 8 per 24 hours ?

At full load Drax needs 36,000 tonnes of coal per day - that would be atleast 18-20 trains, I guess?

cawky22

Visited Drax last year and they said then that their biomass use was around 20-25% of everything combusted - however they do get some things in through the Port of Goole so won't be as much coming from Tyne Dock.

Port of Tyne has the biggest biomass facility in Europe , yet 4 other companies want to bring the stuff in through the Tyne , but to do this they will need there own storage shed and loading faciities built . Also Port of Tyne has bought the land that Mcnultys own as they are in administration . This could allow the container storage area to move and allow extra storage facilities to be built on the existing container site.

Status
Not open for further replies.