• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huntingdon - Peterborough Lines Blocked (02/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1P57 was the service involved - 321410 & 321418.

1S11 didn't go via Cambridge - it did sit for some time waiting events though. As above, 1A22 & 1E09 were diverted.

There was a large gap in Leeds services, which allowed priority to be given to running Anglo-Scottish services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member

1S11 didn't go via Cambridge - it did sit for some time waiting events though. As above, 1A22 & 1E09 were diverted.

There was a large gap in Leeds services, which allowed priority to be given to running Anglo-Scottish services.

1S11 definitely did go via Cambridge... Passed Cambridge just after 1300...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was at Stevenage earlier to catch the 1135 to London. This was cancelled as it was an ex-Peterborough service. I let the 1140 go as it was a wedged 4-car service and got the 1203 which were both running normally as they had come from Cambridge.

A northbound VTEC service to Leeds was stopped in platform 3 and this ended up getting cancelled with passengers told to board the 1203 to Kings Cross and travel from Euston to Manchester then across to Leeds on Transpennine.

The 321 involved in the incident seems to have held up remarkably well and thankfully didn't de-rail. A similar incident in the 1980's at Polmont had far more serious consequences.

Established Member
The 321 involved in the incident seems to have held up remarkably well and thankfully didn't de-rail. A similar incident in the 1980's at Polmont had far more serious consequences.

Back in the 80s or maybe early 90s, a 12 car 321 hit some 6-9 cows on the GEML at Hatfield Peverel during the evening rush hour. One bogie did derail on the second or third coach. Fortunately it was a Witham terminator so not many people at the front of the train other than the poor driver.

A0wen

On Moderation

Could it also be that the Anglo-Scottish services have more HSTs rostered on them than the Leeds services? Relevant given the diversion route isn't fully electrified.

SteveP29

Had the IEPs been running now with diesel packs would they have then had any extra options for diversions for keeping mooving?

I don't think anyone has picked up on the dark humour there (or they did but just couldn't be bothered to comment)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We were affected by this yesterday morning.
Firstly, the train we were supposed to leave Waverley at 9am developed a fault and we had to change to the 09:30, which they reclassified as the 09:00.
They started the 09:00 at Newcastle, on its scheduled time,. my parents were supposed to be joining us at Durham, they boarded their correct train, wondering where we were (we were still not long out of Berwick)
They got delayed at Darlington, while we got delayed at Newcastle.
Arrived at York 56 minutes down, which, considering what happened, we did really well to be only delayed by that much.

zuriblue

Wasn't there a bad accident in Scotland a few years back due to a train hitting a herd of cows?

Yes, looked it up, the Polmont crash in 1984 which killed 13. Push-pull rake hit a herd of cows DBSO first, all 6 carriages and the loco derailed.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if that is now that bins last journey with Great Northern. Glad it wasn't much worse.

Duck tape and paint, then hand it over quick to AGA and hope they don't notice before they sign the papers..

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Another serious incident involving animals on the line. I hope this will be fully investgated and someone held accountable.

bradford758

Not much as it's made in Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire but not in Stilton, Cambridgeshire.
Ironically it's not allowed to be made in Stilton

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I saw one report that a Grand Central unit was involved. Bizarre!
The Bradford-London service only ran into Doncaster & back

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

GB

Established Member
Back in the 80s or maybe early 90s, a 12 car 321 hit some 6-9 cows on the GEML at Hatfield Peverel during the evening rush hour. One bogie did derail on the second or third coach. Fortunately it was a Witham terminator so not many people at the front of the train other than the poor driver.

Sometime in June '96 IIRC.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Another serious incident involving animals on the line. I hope this will be fully investgated and someone held accountable.

Bill the cows for the delay and put up notices saying "No cattle to trespass on the line". Seriously now, suggestions please.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Bill the cows for the delay and put up notices saying "No cattle to trespass on the line". Seriously now, suggestions please.

The farmer needs to have public liabity insurance. If this was a road incident the car insurers would claim against it. Not sure however if the railway would bother. It is the farmers responsibilty to keep live stocked penned, no the roads to keep them off. (Again i hope that logic applies to railway).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But are railway boundaries no the responsibility of Network Rail usually? Going back to the original Acts of Parliament!

Failed Unit

Established Member
But are railway boundaries no the responsibility of Network Rail usually? Going back to the original Acts of Parliament!

Probably. But not to animals, or the whole network will need electric fences.

I am responsible for the boundary of my property, but if someone puts cows next to me it is not reasonable to expect me to upgrade this as a result.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Probably. But not to animals, or the whole network will need electric fences.

I am responsible for the boundary of my property, but if someone puts cows next to me it is not reasonable to expect me to upgrade this as a result.

Hmm true enough! Be interesting to see where the blame goes.

Failed Unit

Established Member
After a steak out of Hornsey Depot - the unit is there along with a friend. (Too far away to gets its number). The damaged unit is on the London end (as expected) not sure if the other unit took it into the depot. The damage isn't that bad. It may be running on greater Anglia quicker than we think.

(Corrected until / unit)

Steak is deliberate- because of incident.

Last edited:

Retorus

After a steak out of Hornsey Depot - the until is there along with a friend. (Too far away to gets its number). The damaged until is on the London end (as expected) not sure if the other until took it into the depot. The damage isn't that bad. It may be running on greater Anglia quicker than we think.

Autocorrect gone mad.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Autocorrect always seems to be udderly rubbish no matter what phone manufacturer.
Tell me. What stops a mobile user checking their post before submitting?
I am temporarily using a tablet and it's a pain but hopefully there are no typos in this effort.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am temporarily using a tablet and it's a pain but hopefully there are no typos in this effort.

Fair point. This user is disleslexic so auto-corrects the auto correct. But apologies everyone.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Despite a large screen, I have quite a large on-screen keyboard because it has cursor keys and a numeric row always on. As such, it can be possible to miss some things as they scroll out of view. I usually then notice straight after posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.