• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huntingdon to London and Watford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envy123

Tomorrow, I’m going from Huntingdon to Farringdon for work. Then later, I’ll go to Watford Junction for a nearby interview and then come back to Farringdon for the rest of the work day.

After about 6pm, I’ll go to Bank to have dinner with a friend and then come back to Huntingdon through King’s Cross.

What’s the best value ticket for this day? Can I just buy Huntingdon to Farringdon, then use PAYG Oyster or would it be too expensive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
An Anytime Day Return Huntingdon to Watford is only £5 more than the fare to Kings Cross and would include 2 tube journeys (eg KGX and EUS to Farringdon). Plus 2 Oyster fares Farringdon to Euston and Bank to KGX.

(Note - the tube journeys on the through ticket must start at a London terminal but are OK to exit anywhere in Zone 1. Farringdon is not a London Terminal.)

greatkingrat

Established Member
A Huntingdon - London Terminals ticket is not valid at Farringdon, but that doesn't mean tickets to other destinations are automatically invalid. NRE shows Farringdon is on a permitted route from Huntingdon to Watford Junction, so you could catch a direct train to Farringdon in the morning, break your journey, then use the ticket to get to Euston on the tube later.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can't enter the Underground at Farringdon with a Huntingdon - Watford ticket.

Envy123

It seems that I can use the Huntingdon to Watford Junction ticket for:

-The direct train from Huntingdon to Farringdon and break my journey there.
-The journey back from Watford to Farringdon.
-The journey from King's Cross/St Pancras to Huntingdon.

But I would need to use PAYG for:

-Farringdon to Euston.
-Farringdon to Bank.
-Bank to King's Cross.

Is that right?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Rather than travel from Bank to Kings Cross consider walking to Moorgate where your Huntingdon -Watford ticket is valid on the Underground to Kings Cross St Pancras, or take Great Northern to Finsbury Park and change there for Peterborough.

Note also that when exiting the Underground at Farringdon on your outward journey the ticket probably won't operate the tickets barriers so be prepared to have a discussion/argument with the staff about the right to exit there.

Envy123

I bought the Off Peak Day Return Huntingdon to Watford Junction. As Hadders said, I did need to speak to the staff to let me out to and from Farringdon, but other than that, it has worked smoothly.

Thank you for the helpful advice. :)

Veteran Member
We're always happy to oblige :)

Incidentally, a + ticket will work tube exit barriers elsewhere, Farringdon is peculiar, I presume because it has a NR service but is not a London Terminal.

A Challenge

Established Member
Incidentally, a + ticket will work tube exit barriers elsewhere, Farringdon is peculiar, I presume because it has a NR service but is not a London Terminal.
Isn't it only at interchange stations, or are the barriers programmed to let you in/out anywhere? For example if I had a ticket from or via Watford Junction routed across London, could I use it to enter at Watford, or would it have to be at Euston or onto the Bakerloo further south?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are designated stations where you may enter the Underground if making a cross London journey using a ticket with a Maltese Cross (I’m out at the moment so can’t easily link to the list).

All the main terminals are on there as well as places like Finsbury Park, West Hampstead etc.

Farringdon is not on the list as you wouldn’t ever need to enter the station there to commence a cross London journey using a ticket with a Maltese Cross. You can interchange at Farringdon between Thameslink and the Underground but this doesn't require you to pass through the barriers.

As I understand it you may finish a cross London journey short at an intermediate station but you cannot resume a journey at an Underground station or start a cross London journey short. The tickets won’t operate the barriers at intermediate stations so you have to be asked to be let out manually if you wish to finish short.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Always found it amusing that they felt the need to explain that because some major stations are so close together that you can walk between them, it is ok to do this with a ticket with a cross London marker...

Status
Not open for further replies.