• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hyde North and Flowery Field ‘interavailability’

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Around November and December, tickets issued to Hyde North were valid via Flowery Field, with a walking fixed link to Hyde.

Currently, this looks to be unavailable as I can’t get an itinerary to reflect this.

Can anyone tell me whether this was an easement due to the Rose Hill trains being cut dramatically, or whether there’s a permanent easement or routeing point to make this valid please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
It was due to Rose Hill services being cut. Whilst no official easement I don't think any northern staff would have any issues. Best thing is to ask the guard.

Established Member
This seems to be something that could do with, certainly for seasons, having tickets issued with an "AAA Flowery Field" (or similar) routeing as you sometimes see down south.

plugwash

Established Member
If you want season ticket flexibility in the GM area then consider the GM traincard or GM countycard.

_toommm_

Established Member
If you want season ticket flexibility in the GM area then consider the GM traincard or GM countycard.

I used to get one, but I travel to Sandbach, so getting day returns five times a week (with railcard) is cheaper than even the season ticket.

It was due to Rose Hill services being cut. Whilst no official easement I don't think any northern staff would have any issues. Best thing is to ask the guard.

This seems to be something that could do with, certainly for seasons, having tickets issued with an "AAA Flowery Field" (or similar) routeing as you sometimes see down south.

Thanks to you both. Indeed the guard last night didn’t mind.

kieron

Established Member
A season ticket between Sandbach & Flowery Field would be valid to Hyde North anyway, as it's between Manchester and Guide Bridge.

It's no help if a railcard and day tickets are cheaper, though.

_toommm_

Established Member
A season ticket between Sandbach & Flowery Field would be valid to Hyde North anyway, as it's between Manchester and Guide Bridge.

Hyde North is just past Guide Bridge - you turn left at Hyde Jn. to Flowery Field and right to Hyde North.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Hyde North is just past Guide Bridge - you turn left at Hyde Jn. to Flowery Field and right to Hyde North.

Is this referring to some Routeing Guide easement to the effect of "Tickets issued to/from Flowery Field that are valid for travel on a journey that requires travelling between Guide Bridge and Manchester may be used at Hyde North and vice-versa"?

scrapy

Established Member
No it isn't, Guide Bridge is between Hyde North and Manchester and a Sandbach to Flowery Field ticket is not valid via Romiley. I can't see how a season between Flowery Field and Sandbach would officially be valid at Hyde North, although it may be commonly accepted by guards.

I would just add that I've just noticed a Sandbach to Hyde North walk up ticket is actually more expensive than Sandbach to Flowery Field. Therefore id be careful about using the cheaper Flowery Field ticket to Hyde North and always ensure I have permission of an authorised person (i.e. the guard) and buy the slightly dearer Hyde North ticket. Otherwise should there be a revenue block and you travel to Hyde North with a cheaper ticket Northern may accuse you of trying to avoid full payment.

_toommm_

Established Member
I would just add that I've just noticed a Sandbach to Hyde North walk up ticket is actually more expensive than Sandbach to Flowery Field. Therefore id be careful about using the cheaper Flowery Field ticket to Hyde North and always ensure I have permission of an authorised person (i.e. the guard) and buy the slightly dearer Hyde North ticket. Otherwise should there be a revenue block and you travel to Hyde North with a cheaper ticket Northern may accuse you of trying to avoid full payment.
That’s a fair point. Incidentally Stockport couldn’t issue tickets in December starting from Hyde and it always defaulted to Flowery Field, even when there was services there.

It’s not something I’ll make a habit of, it was just a nice little thing if I missed a Glossop train and I could officially go to Hyde North.

geoffk

Established Member
No it isn't, Guide Bridge is between Hyde North and Manchester and a Sandbach to Flowery Field ticket is not valid via Romiley. I can't see how a season between Flowery Field and Sandbach would officially be valid at Hyde North, although it may be commonly accepted by guards.

Isn't this kind of thing just plain silly? All these trains are run by Northern and Hyde North is actually nearer to Manchester than Flowery Field. Common sense says tickets should be valid from/to either, likewise Hyde Central and Newton for Hyde. But then I know common sense isn't always applied.

clagmonster

Established Member
Of course the other thing to do in the absence of interavailability would be to obtain a day single from Guide Bridge to Hyde North before boarding the train at Piccadilly. The booking office would be capable of issuing this for a cost of £1.80.

If you miss your intended train to Flowery Field as a result of a delayed service from Sandbach, I would be inclined to write in to the Customer Experience Centre, enclosing both tickets, as the extra fare would have been paid to minimise your delay

scrapy

Established Member
Non of those trains on the link to NRE you've provided pass through Hyde North however it does appear Sandbach to Flowery Field is valid via Romiley so I was wrong on that. I couldnt get any journeys that way but I was looking at tomorrow(Sunday), when there are no services through Hyde North anyway so it wasn't bringing any results, it appears the ticket is valid via Romiley (changing at Romiley then Guide Bridge). But given that the OP was trying to save time by travelling to Hyde North if they'd missed a Flowery Field train, they would be unlikely to take the longer route via Romiley as it takes longer than waiting for the next direct train to Flowery Field.

The Flowery Field ticket still wouldn't be valid on the direct service to/from Hyde North from Piccadilly (via Gorton) it's only valid via Romiley although as said in reality it would be accepted especially if the OPs train from Sandbach was delayed and it caused them to miss the Flowery Field train.

kieron

Established Member
My apologies. I forgot to add my usual warning about NRE links.

nationalrail.co.uk saves a few cookies when you use its journey planner, and one of these saves the via points for the journey. If you delete those, and then reload the link, you should find that the first itinerary matches the attached one.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• out.png
    out.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 41

scrapy

Established Member
Yes but this route involves going to Romiley and coming back towards Manchester taking 51 minutes. Not something the OP would ever do as they specified their aim was to get their quicker. Why would they follow your itinerary when they could simply get on the 10.03 from Piccadilly and have a 12 minute journey to Flowery Field?

Saying Hyde North is on the way from Manchester to Guide Bridge is like saying Coventry is on the way from Stafford to Birmingham. It is if you decide to go via Rugby!

Status
Not open for further replies.