• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hypothetical - Advances and Intermediate Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLBH

Say a passenger is travelling from Station A to Station B, over a reasonable distance, on a train which continues to Station C. Advance fares from A to B are not available, but they are from A to C. The relative levels of Advance and flexible fares are such that it is cheaper to get an Advance from A to C, then return to B on a flexible ticket.

On the A to C Advance alone, stopping short at B would of course be prohibited. If the passenger is aware of this situation, and buys the flexible ticket from C to B prior to boarding at A, can the passenger then alight at B without travelling to C?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tom73

Can't see why not if you already have a ticket valid for exit at B (but don't show it to anyone until you exit at B)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Legally, you owe the difference in fares between the cost of the Advance and the cost of the cheapest A-B ticket that permits break of journey.

Practically speaking, nothing will happen and you will likely be let out without charge - unless station B is arranged such that ticket checks are segregated by platform, or it's obvious due to the layout or position of the gateline (or structure of the timetable) that you arrived on a service from A rather than C.

Revenue checks directly upon exiting the train doors do happen (and this would be another circumstance where what you are proposing would potentially be discovered) but they are rarer than hen's teeth and are usually more aimed towards catching people travelling in first class with a standard class ticket.

I can't endorse doing what you propose but equally I can't sympathise with any revenue loss incurred by a TOC which chooses to have a pricing policy in the way you describe, if passengers are inventive enough to figure this out.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
“Can” and “may” are two separate things.

We cannot advise breaching the conditions of Advance tickets on this forum, but if one were to do so, it would be advisable not to do so regularly.

RLBH

Legally, you owe the difference in fares between the cost of the Advance and the cost of the cheapest A-B ticket that permits break of journey.
Much as I suspected.

For clarity, I have no intention of doing such a thing, and don't know of anywhere that the fare levels might permit it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a purely theoretical discussion around the terms and conditions, and the precise definition of 'stopping short'.

Status
Not open for further replies.