• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hypothetical - would this have got me in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonnieMac

The other day I had an advance Northern single for the last train from Manchester Victoria to Leeds (the 23:19 service). However, I was running early and arrived on the platform before the previous service, about twenty minutes earlier, had departed. The dispatcher noticed me waiting but not boarding the train and asked didn't I want the train to Leeds. I replied that I had an advance for the next service. He said that I might as well get on this one and that the barriers would be open at Leeds so it wouldn't matter! I replied that I would rather wait for my scheduled service thank you very much.

As it happens, my ticket wasn't checked during my journey, but my question is, if I had taken the dispatcher's advice and gotten on the earlier train, would I have encountered problems if my ticket had been checked? Or are the rules more relaxed this late at night?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I doubt the rules are ever relaxed. In reality, it all depends on what staff (if any) you encounter and/or how "strict" they choose to be. One might argue (although, without some evidence to prove it, it's one word against another) you were authorised to travel by the dispatcher.

furlong

Established Member
When that happens, you should simply ask: If someone does challenge my ticket, what should I say to them? The answer should be that they'll endorse your ticket for earlier travel, or at least give you their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.