• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hythe Pier Railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evening All,

This time last year I spent a week in the New Forest and, amongst other things, paid a visit to Hythe and the 2' gauge railway that runs along the pier. I put some pictures on Flickr last year and have finally got around to putting the rest on today. This is the first of today's bunch; clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

RD6348. Hythe Pier Railway. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

They can also be found with the rest of the pictures here :

Hythe Pier Railway - a set on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Prometheus

Excellent set of images, thank you for posting.

I have never visited Hythe Pier but at least I know what to expect when I do.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah yes, a very interesting little railway - I make use of it two or three times a year.

I had an aunt and uncle living in Hythe many years ago and I used to go and stay with them for a week or so during the school holidays. That was in the 1950s and I went on the Hythe Ferry and Pier Tramway quite often whilst down there.

It was therefore nice to relive some old memories by visiting Hythe and other places in the New Forest area again last year.

fgwrich

Established Member
Excellent set of images, thank you for posting.

I have never visited Hythe Pier but at least I know what to expect when I do.

It's certainly worth a visit - Although the Hythe Ferry is at it's best when MV Hotspur IV is in use, as it's a very rateable old tub. Built in 1946, it was re-engined in 1968 with Kelvin R6 Engines which it still uses to this day, although unfortunatly it's normaly used as the reserve vessel* - but its certainly is a beast!

*It has been out about a month ago though, so im not sure what's happend to MV 'Great (un)Expectations' - The Ford engined, 1992 Built tub originally used on the Gravesend to Tilbury ferry service.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On 3rd July both vessels were running at once on a "turn and turn about" basis; the booked timetable was out of the window because of the huge crowds for the 7 x P&O cruise ships event. Quite a few people were letting Expectations go and waiting for Hotspur...

On 3rd July both vessels were running at once on a "turn and turn about" basis; the booked timetable was out of the window because of the huge crowds for the 7 x P&O cruise ships event. Quite a few people were letting Expectations go and waiting for Hotspur...

I'll bet they were. Who wouldn't!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Myself included - Hotspur rides much better than Expectations. the only catamarans worth going on are the Red Jets, especially Red Jet 3 which, if you can get a window seat and half close your eyes, is an extremely good SRN4 ride simulator.:D

Lrd

Established Member
I pass the Hythe Ferrys and Hythe Pier many times every day i'm working but have never ventured over and have a ride myself. One day I will get over there and have a go!

With regards to where Great Expectations was a little while a go, she was being repainted into a new green livery.

Great photos btw. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.