• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I Failed Assessment day with FCC,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

syva

Hello everyone,

Does anyone knows which company is doing those tests. I am willing to pay £100 to check if I pass second time or not. If I pass, I will go and apply directly to rail companies without warring that I need to take tests again. I heard that I can take another chance in 6 months time ( it will be the last one).

Thanks,,,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
DB Schenker in Doncaster do the tests independently.

Private Driver Assessment Day
The Assessment day is suitable for candidates applying for the position of Train Driver with a Train or Freight Operating Company, fulfilling the requirements of the Railway Industry Standard 3751.
The current trainee driver assessment process consists of a fast reaction computer test, concentration test, mechanical comprehension test, two trainability tests and a criteria based interview.
There is a minimum age requirement of 21 and drivers must not have defective colour vision. Body Mass Index should not normally exceed 33.
Candidates are only allowed to sit the assessment twice, and six months must elapse before you are eligible to re-sit the assessment. Details of all assessment results are kept on a national database.

Fail twice and you'll never drive a train on the main line ever!

Until 2013. In accordance with the RSSB standard - the train driver recruitment tests are changing to bring the UK more inline with European recruitment standards.

They are in the final stages of testing the new tests. When implimented, anybody who was "frozen" out of the old scheme will get to start afresh.

rriley27

Until 2013. In accordance with the RSSB standard - the train driver recruitment tests are changing to bring the UK more inline with European recruitment standards.

They are in the final stages of testing the new tests. When implimented, anybody who was "frozen" out of the old scheme will get to start afresh.

Show everyone on the forum where you read that.
Sorry, but I don't believe that.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Originally Posted by GingerbreadMan

That is news if it's true, depending on what these new tests are etc.....

So when i fail the tests (or pass it) when i do it; (i will be paying for it myself - as i have the strange idea that it might give me that little extra in applying etc) I will get another crack at it next year!

more info please!!!!

driver9000

Established Member
I can't find anything on RSSBs website relating to changes to the psycometric tests from 2013. Can you show us where you got the information before anyone gets their hopes up?

CarterUSM

Established Member
I can't find anything on RSSBs website relating to changes to the psycometric tests from 2013. Can you show us where you got the information before anyone gets their hopes up?

I can't really add much, but I have heard rumblings about a possible major change in the assessment process from one of my company's HR people, no dates however and seen nothing in writing.

syva

For example, If I pass the test with DB Schenker in Doncaster. Does it mean that I do not have to take another test when I apply to rail companies? I will have just interview, medical test and that is all. Is that something common???

Thanks,,,,

DB Schenker in Doncaster do the tests independently.

Private Driver Assessment Day
The Assessment day is suitable for candidates applying for the position of Train Driver with a Train or Freight Operating Company, fulfilling the requirements of the Railway Industry Standard 3751.
The current trainee driver assessment process consists of a fast reaction computer test, concentration test, mechanical comprehension test, two trainability tests and a criteria based interview.
There is a minimum age requirement of 21 and drivers must not have defective colour vision. Body Mass Index should not normally exceed 33.
Candidates are only allowed to sit the assessment twice, and six months must elapse before you are eligible to re-sit the assessment. Details of all assessment results are kept on a national database.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
It depends on the company your applying to, some TOCs and FOCs require you to sit added/extra tests beyond that of a standard drivers assessment.

LCC106

Established Member
From what you say you seem to have evidence via an email that the tests are changing in 2013. However, the link you provide shows only an abstract and not a report (unless I'm missing the obvious).

There is nothing wrong with someone asking for a link to the source and I must say your response isn't very helpful. You say it is "well known...changing in 2013" but as I can't access the report or find anything through any other sources, I would be grateful if you could post a definitive link here.

I must say, I'm surprised you have an email from RSSB confirming it and I can't find anything myself, however, I don't disbelieve you as I know how much digging some of their reports take.

So please do us a favour, help us out as many of the forum's contributors have helped others previously, and let's ALL have a little respect for each other at the same time. After all, we all have the same end goal in sight.

Thanks in anticipation.

GB

Established Member
From what you say you seem to have evidence via an email that the tests are changing in 2013. However, the link you provide shows only an abstract and not a report (unless I'm missing the obvious).

A publicly accessible report won't be done untill the final testing and implementation stages are complete.

There is nothing wrong with someone asking for a link to the source and I must say your response isn't very helpful. You say it is "well known...changing in 2013" but as I can't access the report or find anything through any other sources, I would be grateful if you could post a definitive link here.

Someone asked for evidence and he posted the link. While it may not disclose all the facts, it does point in the direction GingerbreadMan stated.

Sometimes you just have to trust people without demanding a whole load of sources or links.

The link is enough to add a bit credibility to his post.

A publicly accessible report won't be done untill the final testing and implementation stages are complete.

Someone asked for evidence and he posted the link. While it may not disclose all the facts, it does point in the direction GingerbreadMan stated.

Sometimes you just have to trust people without demanding a whole load of sources or links.

The link is enough to add a bit credibility to his post.

Thank you.

Without going too far from the original thread topic, I have searched the RRSB website for the probject titles contained within the extract:

Original Report into the suitability for the current TD tests
http://www.rssb.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/reports/Research/T340_rpt_final.pdf

Research Brief into the new TD tests
http://www.rssb.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/reports/Research/T628_rb_final.pdf

I hope this helps anyone wanting info! From what I can gather, most of the tests are "off the shelf" so yu may be able to research them a little on the web!

As for the comments from about my remarks that I have an email not very helpful, I fail to see what more I can offer to this thread! I became aware of the Train Driver Selection tests changing in my professional capacity and as such I have provided a link to the RSSB Project containing all the relevant information that is publically available including the actual names of the new tests.

However it would appear that it is causing some of you some concern, so I would suggest you contact the TOC your thinking of applying to for further information (all the TOC's in ATOC have had an input into the new tests).

With this in mind, I feel that I can no longer contribute to this topic. I hope the information I have provided is of some use to somebody.

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
Thanks GB. I re-read the link posted by Gingerbreadman and whilst the abstract details the names of new tests and how the validity will be "checked", there was no obvious info relating to implementation by 2013.

Gingerbreadman, thanks for your 2 more recent links. These add context for fellow forum members. I was aware of the 2006 review, which had made for interesting reading when I was researching driver recruitment last year. I didn't have access to the 2nd.

(Thankfully) I passed the assessment centres and am part way through my training - which I hope to pass of course! It'll be interesting to hear other people's experiences when they are going through the new test process themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.