• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I forgot my tickets, I have proved that I had purchased them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RighthookRaz

Yeah - I agree with your analysis.

A good idea on your way forward - you will have to appeal to their better nature however. Because Mersey Travel is 'locally accountable' to the Liverpool City Region / local govt it may be worth you contacting your local councillor to ask them to support a request on your behalf - basically you need to get your Councillor to take it up as a case and ask them if they would be prepared to look again at the sum they are asking for and reduce it, esp if you have any mitigating circs eg - low wage, part time, student or some such - a Councillor should be used to making representations on behalf of constituents in this manner so no harm in asking.

Go on your local councils website and find the info that tell you how to contact Councillors by ward - most have a postcode finder that tells you how to contact them. Chances are that you have never heard of your local Councillor but they are often very happy to try to help constituents.

In practical terms best way to do that is to write to MerseyTravel with your request - then send a copy of that to your Councillor with a covering message asking them if they can help / support by raising the case on your behalf with MerseyTravel.

As they operate locally it's not unusual to maybe even ring your Councillor to discuss it and seek their input/advice/ help.

Good luck with it
I'm actually quite friendly with my local councilor. I have contacted him and another. I will give updates once I hear from them. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

35B

Established Member
Both occasions I was asked if I had money by the enforcement officers but I had left my wallet at work (which had my tickets).
I rarely comment on these threads, but I suggest you think very hard about why either Merseyrail or (if it goes that far) a court would believe that you have twice happened to leave your tickets and wallet at work. The degree of coincidence is hard to believe, and begs all sorts of follow up questions.

At this stage, it looks like the cases aren't linked, so each one will have incurred costs in it's own right. In your position, I would be inclined to take the offer of the two settlements before Merseyrail start to link the two cases together and start wondering if these are really one-offs.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Even a forgotten season ticket requires you to purchase a valid ticket to travel and then claim a refund.

I've forgotten a season ticket, been given an unpaid PFN and told to write in with details of my season ticket which I did and heard no more.

This may vary between TOCs.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you left your wallet and tickets at work, how did you get to work the next day?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've forgotten a season ticket, been given an unpaid PFN and told to write in with details of my season ticket which I did and heard no more.

This may vary between TOCs.
A penalty fare notice is, in essence, a ticket.

BrianW

Established Member
I've been surprised not to see comments along this line (unless missed- 37 contributions now)
See it from 'their' point of view- It's a fair cop. A tall story, heard it all before. Twice? A week apart? Born yesterday?
Millions of pounds every week ...
Only you know if you are telling the truth- the whole truth.
Maybe an expensive 'lesson'; or for ever an injustice.
Or stand up for the right.
You have to live beyond this; you decide.
Sorry if this sounds harsh; intending to help.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I've been surprised not to see comments along this line (unless missed- 37 contributions now)
See it from 'their' point of view- It's a fair cop. A tall story, heard it all before. Twice? A week apart? Born yesterday?
Millions of pounds every week ...
Only you know if you are telling the truth- the whole truth.
Maybe an expensive 'lesson'; or for ever an injustice.
Or stand up for the right.
You have to live beyond this; you decide.
Sorry if this sounds harsh; intending to help.
Isn't the issue here that the OP felt he had been told by the staff that he could have this waived if he could proove he did have a ticket (which of course does not stand up to much analysis when you think about it but that is not to say the OP wasn't given that impression). He's not complaining that he was asked for this money, more that when he tried to do what he thought the staff had told him he could do, he was told this was not in fact possible.

But of you move onto the idea of why are they threatening to prosecute me your points make sense, obviously.

gray1404

Established Member
I'm surprised you were not issued with a penalty fare. Also, it is possible for one to have the means to pay on their phone using a contactless device (e.g. if asked if they have the means to pay on the train).

You may wish to pay up to make this go away and then make formal complaints on the basis on what was said when your details were taken e.g. that you could send your tickets in later. You could also make a formal complaint to Merseyrail, involving the Ombudsman and Transport Focus and involve your local cllr.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Also, it is possible for one to have the means to pay on their phone using a contactless device (e.g. if asked if they have the means to pay on the train).
It’s also very likely that such a facility hadn’t been enabled - many people don’t see the need for it - so it’s a bit of an irrelevance. If the OP said he didn’t have any means to pay then we must assume that to be the case.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm surprised you were not issued with a penalty fare. Also, it is possible for one to have the means to pay on their phone using a contactless device (e.g. if asked if they have the means to pay on the train).

You may wish to pay up to make this go away and then make formal complaints on the basis on what was said when your details were taken e.g. that you could send your tickets in later. You could also make a formal complaint to Merseyrail, involving the Ombudsman and Transport Focus and involve your local cllr.

But the argument is the wallet was left in the office too, so no means to pay.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Indeed. But you said a ticket would have to be purchased. In my case no money changed hands.
OK, since you want to be picky about it, a ticket should be purchased and then a refund claimed in order to avoid penalty fares or potential prosecution.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
OK, since you want to be picky about it, a ticket should be purchased and then a refund claimed in order to avoid penalty fares or potential prosecution.

I'm not trying to be picky. I'm pointing out that something happened to me that disagreed with what you said must happen.

Yes, if you spot you've forgotten a ticket, buying another and claiming a refund is the best course of action.

Your claim was that anyone who had forgotten a ticket would have to buy another. I did not. I did not have to claim a refund. I was trying to help inform, not annoy you.

RighthookRaz

If you left your wallet and tickets at work, how did you get to work the next day?
The day I got my latest incident was the day I was let go from work due to covid-19 so my mind wasn't in the best place before leaving work, kinda left work in a rush without checking I had everything. So there was no need to go to work again the next day.

I had only been in the UK for a few weeks at the time of these incidents after working abroad for a year, so I hadn't set up contactless payment on my phone, although I have used it in the past. At the time, contactless payment on my phone wasn't an option. I will weigh up my options with my local cllr when he gets in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.