• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I got the Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My name is Lee, and this is my first post. I got offered a position as a trainee train driver with FCC. Just today I got my contract through the post. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone on this website, as the information that I got on here was a big help. I cannot wait to start my training! If anyone needs my advice with regards to the tests/interviews, then feel free to ask me any questions.

A question for any FCC drivers, could you give me any advice on the training that I will undertake shortly? And on my contract it says that I will get paid £22.595 per annum, I presume that this will go up when I'm fully qualified?

Thanks guys,

Lee

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thomas69

Congratulations Leon! Hope it all goes well for you!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What is the line managers interview like? Is it the same as the structured interviews but with extra questions? Or is it more just questions about yourself and if you know much about the company?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Well done Leon and welcome to the forum .I'm glad you found it helpful and I hope you will stick around to share your knowledge.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Hi,

My name is Leon, and this is my first post. I got offered a position as a trainee train driver with FCC. Just today I got my contract through the post. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone on this website, as the information that I got on here was a big help. I start on the 06/06/2012 at King's cross station. I cannot wait to start my training! If anyone needs my advice with regards to the tests/interviews, then feel free to ask me any questions.

A question for any FCC drivers, could you give me any advice on the training that I will undertake shortly? And on my contract it says that I will get paid £22.595 per annum, I presume that this will go up when I'm fully qualified?

Thanks guys,

Leon

I'm not an FCC driver, but £22,595 is a trainee's wage, when you 'pass out' (qualify) your wage will rise, this is standard for many on-train jobs these days.

If FCC work as Thameslink did, you will get two weeks introduction and PTS training (with short exam), followed by 10 weeks of 'front end turns' (sitting with a driver). You'll then have a full rules course (with exam), followed by a traction course (with exam) for each unit type you will be expected to drive. Finally, it will be route learning and train handling (16 weeks/225 hours) followed by a final exam (two weeks) covering all aspects of the job. Good luck!

BLS

Hi mate how did u find your managers interview? Have you got any hints, tips or example questions/topics for research please? Many thanks

Panch

Hi Leon,

Congratulations! You must be so pleased and relieved! It is so nice to hear good news after all of the waiting and hard work.

You said that if anyone has any questions you would be more than happy to help. I think if you could spare the time, a breakdown of the process that you went through would be really helpful to those of us who are still ploughing through it.

For example, the dots test, was it on paper or computer and also the SCAAT? How did you find the whole process? Was it what you expected, given the fact that you had practice papers or did you find it more difficult or easier?

Any information, I am sure, would be gratefully accepted by me and everyone else in the same position!!

W230

Established Member
Hi Leon congrats! I got my contract with FCC through the post yesterday as well. Going to be working at Blackfriars on Thameslink although I don't start my course until the end of August.

I know on TL trains run 24/7 but can't work out when the changeover is between the last train of the day and the first (maybe around 3am?)

Congratulations Leon! Hope it all goes well for you!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What is the line managers interview like? Is it the same as the structured interviews but with extra questions? Or is it more just questions about yourself and if you know much about the company?

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. The Line managers interview was more relaxed than the structured interview, but don't let your guard down, as your potential boss is assessing you on every word you speak. There was a guy from HR, and a depot manager from King's Cross station. They asked me what I knew about the company (Do your homework, you can find out everything you need to know on their website). If I liked working on my own (it's very important to get it across to them that you like/prefer lone working, and that you can be trusted to carry out your duties unsupervised). What I thought about wearing a uniform (I said that it was very important to wear your uniform properly, as this promotes a strong corporate image, and instills confidence in the customers), I hope this helps you!

thomas69

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. The Line managers interview was more relaxed than the structured interview, but don't let your guard down, as your potential boss is assessing you on every word you speak. There was a guy from HR, and a depot manager from King's Cross station. They asked me what I knew about the company (Do your homework, you can find out everything you need to know on their website). If I liked working on my own (it's very important to get it across to them that you like/prefer lone working, and that you can be trusted to carry out your duties unsupervised). What I thought about wearing a uniform (I said that it was very important to wear your uniform properly, as this promotes a strong corporate image, and instills confidence in the customers), I hope this helps you!

Thanks very much. That's a big help. Did you learn about First group as a whole or just the franchise?

Clip

Established Member
Congratulations Leon I hope you enjoy your time as a driver and have a long career with the railway.

Clip

Established Member
Oh i just noticed that your name is Lee yet we have all been calling you Leon.

I blame Greenback :D

jj2389

Congratulations Lee! Im happy for you. I wish you all the best and hope you have a long lasting and well rewarding career.

I do have a couple of questions for you though, would you mind telling us why questions you were asked in your structured interview and managers interview? There are plenty of posts that generalise the questions but was wondering if you knew the exact questions asked.

Your help would be much appriciated. Once again well done!

Trainer74

Lee hi, I passed stage 1 yesterday in London I have stage 2 next week in Watford any advice you can give me please?

Lee hi, I passed stage 1 yesterday in London I have stage 2 next week in Watford any advice you can give me please?

Congratulations for passing the first stage. The second assessment at Watford involves a speed reaction test, done on a computer. I found this to be easy. and then a criteria based interview. This was a 1 hour long interview with a very attractive young blonde lady, I had to concentrate on not staring at her legs. Don't worry about the questions, just big yourself up.

playmore64

I think congratulations are in order, well done Lee 'top man'!

Wow the way you described the structured interview it pretty much seems like a doddle.

I suppose nerves kick in when you’re actually having the interview and when you miss out on key words that you had been practicing prior to the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.