• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

I'm not much up on NR rolling stock but I have driven a couple in my time. This topic may have been raised before but in your opinion which is the nicest looking, design wise. rolling stock to run on NR since 1970?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
In terms of looks? That's a tough one.

A lot of the plastic stuff, despite its many flaws, looks pretty good IMHO. Take the Pendolino as an example. It might have malfunctioning lavatories and a host of other downfalls, but I think it's certainly one of the best looking trains we've seen in a while. Personal opinion, mind!

thumb_pendo_crewe_10_09_05.jpg

Jordy

Established Member
Seth said:
In terms of looks? That's a tough one.

A lot of the plastic stuff, despite its many flaws, looks pretty good IMHO. Take the Pendolino as an example. It might have malfunctioning lavatories and a host of other downfalls, but I think it's certainly one of the best looking trains we've seen in a while. Personal opinion, mind!

thumb_pendo_crewe_10_09_05.jpg

To be honest, they do look quite good, but I still dont like them ;)

Jordy

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Gang!!

There have been some striking designs recently, such as the GatEx Cl460 "Darth Vader" Junipers, but nothing that I would happily stand and look at for any length of time. However, if pressed, I would have to say that I like the look of the Cl08. It might have been designed for function over form, but it's a well-balanced design that works well and, to my eyes at least, rather nice.

I'm not particularly taken by the design of the Pendolino, which looks to me like it's been cobbled together and doesn't look like a coherent whole. Alsthom could have also done a better job of styling the front end.

one TN

Craig

Established Member
My personal favourite for a traditional locomotive would be a 37 or 40. IMO they look good on whatever kind of train they're working. I also like the look of HSTs.
20040818_79.jpg
20051101_34.jpg

Pendolinos look ok from the front. But side on they look kind of strange, I can't quite figure out why though.
20040818_60.jpg

Coxster

Established Member
Craig said:
Pendolinos look ok from the front. But side on they look kind of strange, I can't quite figure out why though.
I think it is weird from the side because of the dome-type thing above the cab and the main coach roof has a gap in the middle.

My favourite looking NR train since the '70s would be the Class 442 EMU. Of course though they don't look as good when the front covers are off as illustrated in http://the-siding.co.uk/class442/pages/2407.htm

Class442SWT01-Large.jpg

AlexS

Established Member
Tough one. Either class 312, class 390, or 222.

312 just had that brilliant body lining, 390 actually looks like a sleek, fast train, and the 222 actually looks like it could go a fair lick (even though only Hull Trains use it to it's max potential speed wise).

Dennis

Established Member
Coxster said:
I think it is weird from the side because of the dome-type thing above the cab and the main coach roof has a gap in the middle.

My favourite looking NR train since the '70s would be the Class 442 EMU. Of course though they don't look as good when the front covers are off as illustrated in http://the-siding.co.uk/class442/pages/2407.htm

But they forgot to include light clusters and ended up sticking them in the cab!!!

I think the Juniper designs look very '80's and have not stood the test of time very well. HST's and 47s seem timeless. Deciding on a personal favourite is difficult as the livery will affect perception. On balance, the Networker design gets the nod from me.

Sprog

Established Member
Wessies (the WR 1000's, not the electric type ;)), HSTs and 222s IMO.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I really like class 222s, they look very sleek in my opinion. However in terms of locos, I do like 37s, they have such an interesting shape :)

Guinness

Established Member
I like various units. 156s, 170s, 222s, 390s. However I do think the GBRf 66s do look great with those Headlights and liverly before First stuck their logo on the front.........

I love the look of Freightliner 66s! Brilliant livery etc. Prefer them with the old style headlights becasue I don't think the new LEDs look good on them. Love the look of the HST. It may be 30 years old but it in no way at all looks that TBH. Also love the look of the 47s! :D

Sam

I think the Class 50 is the best looking loco. And it does not matter what people say about plastic I really like the shape of Pendolinos

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
HST - a 30year old train, and it doesn't look out of place, imho still looks modern and new (asides the black smog marks lol)
More up to date, I would probably vote the voyagers, always liked the look of them from day 1, shame onboard spoils them

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
I think a 86 or 87 has 'real styal' (spelled the WCML way;)) to it. The design of 86s seems to be pretty clever as they look like a roarer one way you look at them and a modern(ish) electric the other way and 87s are just a more modern version of a 86. 87s also had name with style as well.

47s also look pretty good and HST also have style to them and neither look there age...

1D53

Established Member
There is some seriously ugly stuff on the rails these days. 158's look good in orginal RR or new Metro livery, don't think most other liveries suit them at all though. HST still look beautiful 30 years on, must say I quite like the look of the 185's too.

Status
Not open for further replies.