• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I lost my ticket on the train and got stopped for "Not having a ticket"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tur1ng

So I was travelling a short journey from Nottingham to Loughborough yesterday.

I bought an anytime return ticket from Loughborough Station for £8.70 and on my way home from Nottingham to Loughborough, I lost my ticket whilst getting all my things together to leave.

Unfortunately, there were ticket collectors at the station checking tickets upon leave of the station and as I lost my ticket, I got taken aside for being unable to produce a valid ticket.

A man took all my details and interviewed me similar to how a police officer would and I've been told that I'll be expecting a letter from the rail company about what'll happen.

My ticket DID successfully get checked by an on-board ticket officer but as I paid for the ticket with cash from a machine, I can't prove that I bought it.

When I was interviewed, I managed to accurately tell him details about my issue and I described the appearance of the ticket officer on the train who checked my ticket and I did this all in a respectful manner and it's been reported to East Midlands Trains.

If it helps, this is the first time anything like this has happened and I have no prior criminal record.

What should I do and what should I expect?

I'm expecting at the very least that I'll have to pay a fine but I'm really scared that they're gonna send me to prison and ruin the rest of my life! I hope and pray that the rest of my life is going to be ruined because I made a mistake by losing my ticket.

Help me, what should I do? I am absolutely terrified! :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm expecting at the very least that I'll have to pay a fine but I'm really scared that they're gonna send me to prison and ruin the rest of my life! I hope and pray that the rest of my life is going to be ruined because I made a mistake by losing my ticket.
You don't need to worry.

In my opinion, if what you say is correct, then it would be difficult to prove intent, so if they prosecute, you're more likely looking at a prosecution for a non-recordable Byelaw offence, which is the offence you committed by losing your ticket (which may sound harsh, and I agree, but there's no point debating that here!)

And that's if they go down the prosecution route. They may choose to take no action, or they may offer you an out of court settlement, which - if agreed by both parties - would be the end of the matter.

There is no prospect of being sent to prison, so relax!

Tur1ng

My main worry is that it'll be put on a criminal record and that, in itself, is a life sentence.
I'm at university and will be looking for a career within the next year so I absolutely cannot have a criminal record as then nobody will hire me.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
My main worry is that it'll be put on a criminal record and that, in itself, is a life sentence.
I'm at university and will be looking for a career within the next year so I absolutely cannot have a criminal record as then nobody will hire me.

It is not likely you will be charged with a recordable offence.

Even so, most low level offences now become spent after a year anyway.

Relax - some more help will be along soon on this thread, I'm sure.

najaB

Veteran Member
You can stop worrying. In the absolute worst case the conviction would be spent after twelve months and would no longer appear on your 'record'. However, as yorkie said it is more likely that they will either settle out of court or go for a Byelaw prosecution, neither of which would show up on your record at all.

As to the impact of a conviction on employment - most employers are understanding about minor offences, as long as they are declared when required.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

Established Member
So I was travelling a short journey from Nottingham to Loughborough yesterday.

I bought an anytime return ticket from Loughborough Station for £8.70 and on my way home from Nottingham to Loughborough, I lost my ticket whilst getting all my things together to leave.

Unfortunately, there were ticket collectors at the station checking tickets upon leave of the station and as I lost my ticket, I got taken aside for being unable to produce a valid ticket.

A man took all my details and interviewed me similar to how a police officer would and I've been told that I'll be expecting a letter from the rail company about what'll happen.

My ticket DID successfully get checked by an on-board ticket officer but as I paid for the ticket with cash from a machine, I can't prove that I bought it.

When I was interviewed, I managed to accurately tell him details about my issue and I described the appearance of the ticket officer on the train who checked my ticket and I did this all in a respectful manner and it's been reported to East Midlands Trains.

If it helps, this is the first time anything like this has happened and I have no prior criminal record.

What should I do and what should I expect?

Help me, what should I do? I am absolutely terrified! :oops:

First off, relax. It is very unlikely you will get prosecuted, and if you do it will almost certainly be a non recordable offence.

What will likely happen next is you will receive a letter. This will ask you to confirm your side of the story.

Reply factually and remorsefully. In this case I wouldn't offer a cash sum at this stage.

Something along the lines of

I boarded the xx train to yy at Nottingham, having purchased a ticket with cash. My ticket was checked by the on-board staff, however I misplaced my ticket before I left the train at Loughborough, whereupon I was stopped for a check by a member of staff.

I understand that it is my responsibility to look after my ticket and apologise for the inconvenience that I have caused. In future I will take more care not to lose it.

Yours

Tur1ng

Be3G

Established Member
I have no idea if this would be of any use legally, so I'll rely on more competent people to shoot me down, but… would there be any value in making a Subject Access Request for any CCTV images of the ticket purchase at the beginning of the journey? And perhaps of the ticket check on the train, for that matter.

robbeech

Established Member
I'm not sure if a Nottingham Loughborough (or reverse) day return is printed on 1 or 2 tickets but if on 2 do you happen to have the outward part of the ticket still?
it is in no way proof that you had the ticket and they would still be in their rights to prosecute but it may give more evidence to prove you had a ticket.
I appreciate they could argue you gave your ticket to someone else, but it can't hurt.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I'm not sure if a Nottingham Loughborough (or reverse) day return is printed on 1 or 2 tickets but if on 2 do you happen to have the outward part of the ticket still?
it is in no way proof that you had the ticket and they would still be in their rights to prosecute but it may give more evidence to prove you had a ticket.
I appreciate they could argue you gave your ticket to someone else, but it can't hurt.

It would be a two part return, however I doubt it would make a difference
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have no idea if this would be of any use legally, so I'll rely on more competent people to shoot me down, but… would there be any value in making a Subject Access Request for any CCTV images of the ticket purchase at the beginning of the journey? And perhaps of the ticket check on the train, for that matter.

TBH, not worth it.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

None what-so-ever.
Whilst it might show a person buying a ticket there would be insufficient detail available to show what the ticket was.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I agree with those above who see this as either a matter which would be investigated as a potential Byelaw Offence only, which even if succesfully prosecuted should not appear on any subsequent Criminal Records search (DBS). And the alternatives are that it is not pursued any further or probably the most likely outcome, that a financial settlement is agreed to dispose of the matter - perhaps around £100.

Attempting to obtain CCTV images from the station are likely to be very time-consuming (for all parties) to achieve, and even if successful, I struggle to see what the point is. You have already admitted that you had a ticket and then lost it so that you were unable to present it when requested, and I'm sure the Company has accepted those facts, which were freely admitted. Even if the CCTV image was of adequate quality to show without doubt that you had bought the ticket (which is extremely unlikely), no one will be interested in seeing it - those facts are accepted and are not in dispute.

The Byelaw Offence of not being able to produce a ticket for inspection is a very minor matter. Not one that is worth worrying about. Not one that affects careers or 'ruins lives'.

Be3G

Established Member
Attempting to obtain CCTV images from the station are likely to be very time-consuming (for all parties) to achieve, and even if successful, I struggle to see what the point is. You have already admitted that you had a ticket and then lost it so that you were unable to present it when requested, and I'm sure the Company has accepted those facts, which were freely admitted. Even if the CCTV image was of adequate quality to show without doubt that you had bought the ticket (which is extremely unlikely), no one will be interested in seeing it - those facts are accepted and are not in dispute.

Well, in my mind the point would be of trying to disprove intent to avoid paying the fare if the facts of a ticket purchase being made are disputed by the authorities – we don't yet know for certain (although we're certainly hoping) that they aren't. I take your point about the difficulty of actually getting hold of useful images, though.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Well, in my mind the point would be of trying to disprove intent to avoid paying the fare if the facts of a ticket purchase being made are disputed by the authorities – we don't yet know for certain (although we're certainly hoping) that they aren't. I take your point about the difficulty of actually getting hold of useful images, though.

Intent is not relevant as the likelihood of a RoRA prosecution is slim to none. Any court action is 99.99% likely to be in regard to a byelaw offence which is strict liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.