• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I made a mistake today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Hewer

This morning I got the train from Chelmsford towards London as usual. Upon arrival at Liverpool Street I realised i didn't have my ticket with me so stupidly snuck through the barriers where I was stopped and questioned.

I have a history of buying monthly tickets (by card) up until 2 weeks ago. Since then i have been buying single day tickets and have a weekly one for this week (paid for in cash) due to planned days off and travelling to different locations. The intention was to buy a monthly at the weekend as that's when my house mate pays their rent. I don't think i have kept the receipt for my weekly.

I know I am going to get a fine at least and rightly so. Does anyone know what the probable outcome will be? I was completely honest with what I told them but I have no idea what the process is now, apart from i have to wait for a letter.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
The record of your conversation with the RPI will be passed to the prosecutions unit who will decide where to take it. From what you've said, it sounds like a fairly straightforward case of fare evasion so it is likely that they will write to you asking for your version of events.

This letter would usually give an indication of which offense they intend to prosecute under - either the Railway Byelaws or the more serious Regulation of the Railways Act. Whilst both criminal offenses, only the convictions under RoRA will show up in a CRB check. In either event, you will presumably be wanting to avoid this going to court and the best way to achieve this is with an apology and an offer to pay the fare due plus a sum to cover the TOC's costs so far (typically £100-200). Others here will be able to advise if and when the letter arrives, which is unlikely to be for several weeks.

Your past record of purchasing season tickets may or may not be relevant, depending whether the TOC considers that you are likely to have avoiding your fare in the past. At a guess, I don't think this is too likely since Liverpool St is barriered so you wouldn't last long without a ticket - it's usually people using Oyster or similar to open the barriers who come in for scrutiny. However it will depend on what was said with the RPI.

Veteran Member
It may not be a help now, but for future reference this is what the National Rail T&Cs say (copied from the GA website):

Season Tickets left at home
If you do not have your Season Ticket with you when you travel you must buy a ticket for your journey. You will be able to get a refund on the fare paid on the first two occasions this happens in any 12 month period. On the second such occasion an administration charge will be made (see below). No more than two of these types of refund will be made in any 12 month period. You will need to hand in the tickets you have bought. You should make refund claims of this type within 28 days of travel.

Clip

Established Member
It may not be a help now, but for future reference this is what the National Rail T&Cs say (copied from the GA website):

Season Tickets left at home
If you do not have your Season Ticket with you when you travel you must buy a ticket for your journey. You will be able to get a refund on the fare paid on the first two occasions this happens in any 12 month period. On the second such occasion an administration charge will be made (see below). No more than two of these types of refund will be made in any 12 month period. You will need to hand in the tickets you have bought. You should make refund claims of this type within 28 days of travel.

This is correct however the OP only had a weekly so this doesnt apply

Status
Not open for further replies.