• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I saved half price just by splitting my tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert2000

From Chester to Norwich it would have cost me something like £100 aparantly, but what i decided to do was...

btw this is coming back the next day

1. get a return to wrexham £7.20
2. advanced bought ticket from wrexham to marylebone £20
3. tube,
4. return from liverpool street t norwich £18 i paid but can vary

total spent £45.20.

but i am aware that prices can vary because i have only just come across at ticket for £82 from chester to norwich.

if i bought a chester to norwich ticket i would only havr to go either via cfrewe and derby and notts, or via stockport

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
Why not

Chester - Liverpool £4-60
Liverpool - Norwich £13-00 (Advance tickets)

£17-60

total cost for return £35-20

>if i bought a chester to norwich ticket i would only havr to go either via cfrewe and derby and notts, or via stockport

No you wouldn't. You can travel via Crewe - Birmingham (or Nuneaton) - Leicester - Peterborough - Norwich

Last edited:

robert2000

I didnt think about going to liverpool, because i wanted to go east, i was looking at crewe or going to london.

i will need to travel to norwich again probably b4 easter, is there a particular time or date i can get this cheap ticket from liverpool.

how does add up to £35, have u come back a different way

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From Chester to Norwich it would have cost me something like £100 apparently, but what I decided to do was...
Off Peak Return is £101.10 (Route "Not London")
But I am aware that prices can vary because i have only just come across at ticket for £82 from Chester to Norwich.
I can't find a ticket at £82 but a Single is £77.50
BTW, this is coming back the next day

1. get a return to wrexham £7.20
No such thing. You mean 2 x Day Singles @ £3-70 each?
2. advanced bought ticket from wrexham to marylebone £20
2 x Advance (not advanced!) singles between those stations
What ticket is that? I recommend Oyster. Personally I'd walk to Baker St (not far at all) and then take the sub-surface lines to Liverpool St, much more pleasant than the tube IMO.
4. return from liverpool street t norwich £18 i paid but can vary
Advance also.
Total spent £45.20.

If I bought a Chester to Norwich ticket I would only have to go either via Crewe and derby and Notts, or via Stockport
There are many ways you could go, not just those ways. But if you buy a ticket to Diss (£99.10) that is routed +Any Permitted and would be valid via London (Diss-Norwich £5.90 SDS) there may be a cheaper way to go via London if you do some research.

metrocammel

Personally I'd walk to Baker St (not far at all) and then take the sub-surface lines to Liverpool St, much more pleasant than the tube IMO.

The word 'tube' is often used generically to describe the whole London Underground system. I suppose it uses the same logic as calling Amersham - Chorleywood 'underground'. Even TfL include surface sections of lines on the 'tube' map on their website ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The word 'tube' is often used generically to describe the whole London Underground system. I suppose it uses the same logic as calling Amersham - Chorleywood 'underground'. Even TfL include surface sections of lines on the 'tube' map on their website ;)
True but the 'obvious' route (and probably fastest) would be to change at Oxford Circus using genuine tubes (Bakerloo + Central), but as Marylebone is really close to Baker Street, I'd recommend the less crowded option!

Status
Not open for further replies.