• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I want to send someone a link to buy a specific itinerary

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

I’m helping a colleague save some significant money for a journey. It does not involve splitting but does involve using specific trains and companies.

Their brain is currently going BOOM.

Do any vendors offer the ability for me to search the journey and then for me to send a URL with a specific itinerary set so that all the recipient has to do is put in their payment details.

My colleague will definitely get where they’re going but I don’t want them liable to a huge excess on board.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
If this relies on Advance fares, I suspect it's logically impossible, in that there are only so many advances at a given price, and the fact that you've looked up a fare doesn't mean that a ticket at that price will be kept for you (or the friend you want to tell about it) until you choose to make the purchase.

And from my (layperson's) understanding of the IT, I don't think a link to the particular webpage will persist such that you can send a link to your friend.

So maybe
- buy the tickets for them and post them
- stand over them and instruct while they buy the tickets
- take a screenshot of the webpage that shows what they want, email that and let them buy their own tickets, or
- something else.

It all depends on where you are, where your colleague is, and how IT- and railway-minded they are.

gray1404

Established Member
Would it be possible to add the ticket to a basket, where it is saved for 2 hours, and then the other party logs onto the same account from another computer, goes straight to the basket and pays.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Or create an account in the friend's name, find the tickets and add them to the basket, then send the friend the link to the log-in page and the details that you have used to create their account.

bakerstreet

Would it be possible to add the ticket to a basket, where it is saved for 2 hours, and then the other party logs onto the same account from another computer, goes straight to the basket and pays.

that is a great solution ! Thank you

bakerstreet

Or create an account in the friend's name, find the tickets and add them to the basket, then send the friend the link to the log-in page and the details that you have used to create their account.

Thank you. I didn’t have this lateral thinking capacity today

bakerstreet

AlexNL

Established Member
And from my (layperson's) understanding of the IT, I don't think a link to the particular webpage will persist such that you can send a link to your friend.
It's not technically impossible, but if the functionality is available depends on how the site is built.

Status
Not open for further replies.