• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ian Allan Publishing sells all transport magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
I can now reveal that after 50 or so years, Ian Allan Publishing based in Hersham, Surrey, have sold most of their their magazine portfolio to Key Publishing of Stamford, Lincs., more associated with aviation titles.

http://www.keypublishing.com/view_news.asp?ID=4970

This means that our magazine (Vintge Roadscene) has also been transferred. I assume that the IA shops, including the one at Waterloo, are unaffected. The Square magazine remains an IA title at Hersham.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I can now reveal that after 50 or so years, Ian Allan Publishing based in Hersham, Surrey, have sold their magazine portfolio to Key Publishing of Stamford, Lincs., more associated with aviation titles.

http://www.keypublishing.com/view_news.asp?ID=4970

This means that our magazine (Vintge Roadscene) as also been transferred. I assume that the IA shops, including the one at Waterloo, are unaffected

Hope this doesn't effect modern railways as i love that magazine (by effect i mean it go downhill i know it is included in the buyout)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have been speaking to a senior member of the Ian Allen marketing team at Hersham today who has stated that it is only the magazine titles stated in the link that are part of the sale. Ian Allen will be retaining their shops and will be retaining and developing the book publishing part of their business together with the on-line sales division.

It was further stated that the magazine delivery service that they outsourced to another company will still be run by that company for the time being and that all existing magazine paid subscriptions will be honoured.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Some of those are national institutions. I trust all the current staff will be unaffected. I do hope this won't mean they feel that they have to all have a Radical New Look or something regrettable, like they did with Railway World and bought about its demise within a year.

John Webb

Established Member
The Hornby Magazine turned up this morning in the post and the Editorial mentioned the sale, which suprised me a bit! Second major change in a year with The Railway Magazine going over to Mortons Publishing in 2011.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
This makes it appear that the Railway Herald joint venture/acquisition is more central to their strategy than it first seemed.

Oracle

Established Member
Yes, those who are employed or have contracts have been transferred over. Watch for new websites in due course.

Railwy World?I first bought a copy in 1966 and wrote to them in 1968 when I was at school.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can confirm that the books side is staying where it is. My book, written with a colleague, on British lorries since 1945 is out this spring. The travel side is also staying.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I suppose that Modern Railways will no longer be carrying the same amount of Ian Allen advertisments soon. I suppose that I was lucky to have made the decision to stop buying this magazine from the W H Smith store in Macclesfield at the end of every month, at the end of 2011 and to take advantage of the 14 issues for the price of 12 offer (all based on the old 2011 price), including the delivery....plus the free London Underground hardback book worth £20.00.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I suppose that Modern Railways will no longer be carrying the same amount of Ian Allen advertisments soon. I suppose that I was lucky to have made the decision to stop buying this magazine from the W H Smith store in Macclesfield at the end of every month, at the end of 2011 and to take advantage of the 14 issues for the price of 12 offer (all based on the old 2011 price), including the delivery....plus the free London Underground hardback book worth £20.00.

I got a subscription between the offers for great books. next time im gonna buy them from shop till a good offer like that comes along.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have been assured that the subscription loyalty card that was issued with the 14 fo12 magazine offer will be honoured when I call at their shop on Manchester Piccadilly station approach, plus when ordering books direct from them. I am pleased that Ian Allen are retaining their shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.