• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ian Allan shop in Birmingham closing down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
Paid a little visit to Ian Allen in Birmingham yesterday (Monday 12th) and there was a sign saying all customer orders must be collected by Aug 28th. Enquired why and was told the shop would be closing in the middle of September. No firm date was given.
Looks like only the Waterloo branch will remain.
Sad to see it go as there always seemed to be a healthy number of customers.

Note to mods...there is already a thread regarding Ian Allen shops closing but is closed to replies. Maybe merge the two?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

djpontrack

That’s a shame that the Birmingham shop is closing, we were in there a couple of weeks ago on our way back from Folkestone. I visited their Cardiff shop regularly when I worked at FGW and when I moved to Lancashire I regularly visited their shop outside Piccadilly station in Manchester until that closed too.

davetheguard

Established Member
I suspect most people in the shop were browsers in between trains and didn't buy anything.

I've been guilty of that sometimes in the past. However, having had a chance to look through a book in advance, I've sometimes gone on to buy it later; which I wouldn't have done without that initial look.

bramling

Veteran Member
I suspect most people in the shop were browsers in between trains and didn't buy anything.

Very much the case in the Waterloo shop.

Worse actually, as not only do they not buy anything they get in the way of those that wish to, damage the stock, and make the shop environment unpleasant because in many cases personal hygiene is questionable.

theblackwatch

Established Member
For me, there's a bit of sadness at this news as I first started visiting the Ian Allan (note correct spelling - not Allen!) bookshop in Birmingham back in the 1980s when it was located in the Pallasades shopping centre at the top of the escalator from New Street barriers. It was always part of the spotting trip to Birmingham to visit there and I would often pick up one of the new DJ Slater bus stockbooks from there as well as find something else to buy. I'd only been to the 'new' shop a couple of times, but I was impressed with its range of books, and I did buy something rather than just 'window shop'. Having said that, I do tend to buy most of my books online nowadays.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ian Allan's retreat from publishing meant it no longer needed showrooms for its products, nor could it obtain books any longer wholesale at decidedly better prices than Amazon or Waterstone's were able to. It may not be generally known that at one time smaller bookshops could obtain 'accredited status' from Ian Allan and have their names printed in such magazines as 'Buses' or 'Modern Railways' as Ian Allan Publishing stockists. For a short while in the 1990s my own bookshop in Penzance was listed there, which was nice for me,but I'm not sure brought me more business.

Spirit555

It appears that the shop is closing on 14 September. Also appears to be a dispute over rates and rent, which is not surprising these days

Calthrop

Established Member
I live in Birmingham, and have often looked in at the IA shop (and made a fair number of purchases from it) -- sad news here. I'm inclined to make a last visit tomorrow, just in case of a chance of something reduced by 50% and still there. I have overall a greater interest in foreign, than British, railways -- might just work to my advantage here !

Man of Kent

I hadn't noticed this thread, so was a bit surprised when I visited last week to find the shop closed.
The more so, as it is still shown on the company's website...

swanhill41

I hadn't noticed this thread, so was a bit surprised when I visited last week to find the shop closed.
The more so, as it is still shown on the company's website...

Probably showing it open as I feel the website is no longer functioning as rail publishing has not been a functioning side of IA sincle sale of rail pub to Crecy about 12 months ago!

Karl

On Moderation
Worse actually, as not only do they not buy anything they get in the way of those that wish to, damage the stock, and make the shop environment unpleasant because in many cases personal hygiene is questionable.

Seriously? Is this really true? I always have a shower first thing in the morning :)

James H

Detailed article here: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...entres-famous-trainspotting-bookshop-17113633

Trading ceased on September 14, following similar decisions in Cardiff and Manchester.

Birmingham's closure means the mail order service has gone.

The shop had been at the bottom of Ethel Street for a decade and, before that, it was just around the corner on Stephenson Street.

Founded as a family-owned business in 1942, the company now has just one store left, near to Waterloo Station.

Because it owns those premises, it aims to continue trading there are at 45/46 Lower Marsh, Lower Marsh, Lambeth, London SE1 7RG (Tel 020 7401 2100).

Managing director Nick Lerwill told BirminghamLive that the site's landlord had not been renewing leases. And so, when their ten-year deal was up that was that.

wulfruna

That Birmingham Mail article also mentions:

Birmingham Mail said:
Meanwhile, BirminghamLive understands that one of the former managers of the Ian Allan store is planning to open his own store.

Tornado Books & Hobbies will be next to Swordfish Records on Dalton Street, close to the Elizabeth Law Courts off Corporation Street and opposite the entrance to the NCP Londonderry House car park.

tornadobookshop.co.uk

According to their Facebook page, if all goes to plan, the shop will be opening on 31st Oct 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.