• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IBM (Halt) Closure & Possible Re-opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Esker-pades

Established Member
Have the proper closure procedures been followed? Interesting that a confirmation of closure is the first thing that has been posted.

It does look like usage has fallen off a cliff.
~120k down to ~6k in 5 years is quite a cliff.

It will be way lower when this year's patronage figures come out. I state that with certainty. I was there for a good few hours in May: nobody used the station except me. This was on a weekday over the rush hour.

Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member
Despite still showing in the print timetables, passenger stops on the Glasgow-bound services have been removed. They're showing as unadvertised on RTT and all journey planners advise people to board a train in the Wemyss Bay direction before changing and returning to Glasgow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
~120k down to ~7k in 5 years is quite a cliff.

It will be way lower when this year's patronage figures come out. I state that with certainty. I was there for a good few hours in May: nobody used the station except me. This was on a weekday over the rush hour.

I think it's because the businesses at the business park have near enough closed down and there is no other traffic source/sink nearby.

Permanent closure would seem silly, though, as it might well enjoy a change of fortune at some point?

Esker-pades

Established Member
I think it's because the businesses at the business park have near enough closed down and there is no other traffic source/sink nearby.

Permanent closure would seem silly, though, as it might well enjoy a change of fortune at some point?
That's what I thought. There was speculation that it would be reduced to 1 train per day in each direction (or a similarly low service) for that reason. But, I wasn't expecting all train services to be withdrawn entirely.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's what I thought. There was speculation that it would be reduced to 1 train per day in each direction (or a similarly low service) for that reason. But, I wasn't expecting all train services to be withdrawn entirely.

Now rail has been devolved has there been a change to the legal framework meaning that you don't have to stop something there for it to still be considered an open station?

Esker-pades

Established Member
I have been speaking to ScotRail via Facebook. Somebody called "AD" has told me that there will not be any alternative service provided.
Hi Felix, ...Services will no longer be calling at IBM Halt from 9 December, there won't be an alternative service. ^AD

A Challenge

Established Member
Despite still showing in the print timetables, passenger stops on the Glasgow-bound services have been removed. They're showing as unadvertised on RTT and all journey planners advise people to board a train in the Wemyss Bay direction before changing and returning to Glasgow.
Is anybody going to see if ScotRail will stop a train there, and complain on the basis it's in the public timetable?

DanTrain

This looks like it could be the last train ever from this station then!? Maybe we should all go and buy a £1.90 ticket for it, just because :lol:.
upload_2018-11-17_18-54-51.png

InOban

Established Member
The Glasgow electric routes suffer from single track branches at their extremities. This makes every service vunerable to spreading disruption after any delay. I wonder whether this is driven by a need to create more recovery time?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I was going to say this seems surprising in the context of Breich. And indeed pretty much every Parly station elsewhere.

Perhaps it is because Breich serves a settlement so there will always be potential customers, whereas IBM halt is purely for a business park which if it closes, will have no traffic.

I enjoy these tiny, little used stations as much as the next railfan, but paying via taxes or the farebox to keep them open is a waste of money and having proper closures like this really should be the way forwards.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps it is because Breich serves a settlement so there will always be potential customers, whereas IBM halt is purely for a business park which if it closes, will have no traffic.

Have all the businesses now left the park?

I enjoy these tiny, little used stations as much as the next railfan, but paying via taxes or the farebox to keep them open is a waste of money and having proper closures like this really should be the way forwards.

It doesn't appear to have followed the proper closure process?

alangla

Spango Valley has been totally demolished, that’s why there’s zero demand!
Once whatever is replacing it gets built, I guess the station will reopen.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Spango Valley has been totally demolished, that’s why there’s zero demand!
Once whatever is replacing it gets built, I guess the station will reopen.

Ah, it's gone entirely? OK, in that case it makes sense as there will be no demand at all as it doesn't serve anything else.

Wiki says:
As of 2017 the site is completely unoccupied, and local police have warned the public not to enter the site as a number of fires have been started there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spango_Valley

Definitely no need then!

Gathursty

Established Member
Houses could be built there I suspect. Perhaps remove services until IBM becomes a new suburb (like Newcourt in Exeter) and then re-open IBM.

By closing and re-opening IBM, I do NOT mean demolishing and rebuilding it. I mean leaving it as-is except for putting a tall fence around access points so miscreants can't have access to it, apart from Network Rail.

alangla

I was mulling over in my head whether it was worth building a Greenock South Parkway on the site, it’s pretty well located off the A78 and could certainly attract some traffic with a decent sized car park, the only thing is that the possible users will probably live closer to Inverkip or Branchton, plus 1 TPH isn’t much to write home about. Overall, probably better to either close or drop to a parliamentary service & safeguard the site for re-opening at some point.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Houses could be built there I suspect. Perhaps remove services until IBM becomes a new suburb (like Newcourt in Exeter) and then re-open IBM.

By closing and re-opening IBM, I do NOT mean demolishing and rebuilding it. I mean leaving it as-is except for putting a tall fence around access points so miscreants can't have access to it, apart from Network Rail.

To be fair there is precedent for doing that - Barlaston and Wedgewood, one of which is likely to reopen.

Glenmutchkin

How can IBM be closed at short notice when Breich had to be kept open at ludicrous cost?

Has there been an unannounced change of the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.