• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IC225 Wikipedia article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Passenger_Train

Would someone mind double checking this wiki on Ic225 ex APT under legacy please? I could swear it is wrong. I thought the Class 91 was designed so that the traction motors fit under the bogies to reduce unsprung mass and lower the center of gravity. This article has it wrong IMHO. If I am wrong I appologize.

Traction motors on the Class 91 are body mounted, driving through cardan shafts and gearboxes (from David Brown, if memory serves).

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they are body mounted, but are underslung unlike the APT traction motors that were inside the power cars.

Prior to APT most traction motors were axle mounted which had a high unsprung mass.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Wikipedia is ridden with mis-information. Sadly there's not much of an alternative for loco's. There was an article on the French railways page claiming the height limit was lower than the height of the TGV Duplex trains for example.

Don't trust it for a second, anyone who thinks they know (but aren't sure), or are guessing are ussually the article creators, then to change it you'll need citations to prevent it reverting. Then some articles are locked so it's useless.

keith1879

I will have to watch "Running to Time " again. I could swear Roger Ford said they were slung beneath the bogies.

As Philip says - the motors are mounted in the body of the 91. If "Running to time" says different then it is wrong.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wikipedia is ridden with mis-information. Sadly there's not much of an alternative for loco's. There was an article on the French railways page claiming the height limit was lower than the height of the TGV Duplex trains for example.

Don't trust it for a second, anyone who thinks they know (but aren't sure), or are guessing are ussually the article creators, then to change it you'll need citations to prevent it reverting. Then some articles are locked so it's useless.

Yes it's frustrating - but recently I have paid good money for books with enough mistakes to invalidate the whole point of buying the book. The world seems to be getting very sloppy.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I will have to watch "Running to Time " again. I could swear Roger Ford said they were slung beneath the bogies.

They're mounted within the frame of the bogies, but actually bolted to the body and not the bogie.

Western Lord

Yes, Wiki can be a problem sometimes, but at least you can edit it. The number of books I've got full of rubbish is depressing. The daft thing is that Wiki will accept a reference in a book which may be complete rubbish as a valid citation.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The class 91 or electras are essentially APT power cars, sharing much of the equipment and technology developed from the APT but without the tilt kit

cjmillsnun

Established Member
The class 91 or electras are essentially APT power cars, sharing much of the equipment and technology developed from the APT but without the tilt kit

No they are not.

There are many differences in the equipment, although it is safe to say that the 91 is developed from the lessons learned from the APT programme.

coppercapped

Established Member
No they are not.

There are many differences in the equipment, although it is safe to say that the 91 is developed from the lessons learned from the APT programme.

To elaborate a bit. The APT-P used power equipment from ASEA, whereas the Class 91's kit came from GEC. The architecture was similar - the details were different.

Status
Not open for further replies.