• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ice-cream vans banned over environmental concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello there. I'm not sure if there's been a thread on ice-cream vans but I'll be quite honest, I'm 50/50 surprised at this...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/ice-cream-vans-banned-over-16210075

I wonder if future ice-cream vans could be electric.

That's a shame because a 99 ice-cream I'd love to buy - I'm hoping on the walking area near Waterloo Bridge is (roughly where you'd find a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter ice-cream van) will continue to serve them.

I'd have thought it would be the 1990's Ford Transit vans or older vans that would be to blaim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Pertinent text from the article:

Ice cream vans banned over environmental concerns

Scientists warn the black carbon released by ice cream vans can stunt the growth of children’s lungs and trigger asthma attacks.

16:14, 1 MAY 2019

Ice cream vans are being banned from parts of London because they churn out “harmful” chemicals that damage people’s health and are toxic for the environment, strict new rules say.

The vehicles, most of which run on diesel and black carbon, must keep their engines running even while stationary so that on-board freezers work and ice creams do not melt.

But under the new rules, which come into effect today, Camden council will put up “no ice cream trading” signs and hand out fines for anyone caught selling the sweet snack, TheMirror reports.

Westminster council, which suffers from the worst air pollution in the country, has also recently been working to deter vehicles from running an engine when a vehicle has stopped, particularly around schools.

Central London councils have in recent years been under pressure to help reduce air pollution around the capital, as experts warn of the drastic effect it is having on London children's longterm health.

The vans are in the councils' crosshairs because they typically idle their engines in order while parked in order to keep the power running to chill the frozen icy treats they serve up on London's streets.

Westminster City Council has already long banned the ice cream vans from parking in areas owned by the Royal Parks like Hyde Park, instead allocating pitches for the vehicles with access to electricity so they don't have to keep their engines switched on.

Ice cream vans are already banned from lingering too long by the London Local Authorities Act, which must not stay in any location during trading for 15 minutes or longer, and cannot return to the same location or street on the same day.

"This is a serious health issue"

The move to ban Mr Frosty has come from a number of boroughs home to some of the capital's most polluted streets, which have been actively ramping up their anti-idling campaigns.

Research shows an typical vehicle idling its engine produces enough exhaust emissions to fill 150 balloons with harmful chemicals every minute.

Camden Council's spokesman told the Standard the authority would experiment with allowing ice cream trading where vans will be permitted to operate so long as their engines are switched off.

It comes as many London councils consider explore adding more electricity power points around parks and markets, and central boroughs face pressure to install more electric vehicle charging points.

The councils' move on ice cream vans come as London Mayor Sadiq Khan's controversial Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) policy comes into force, which will also affect the ice cream vans.

Drivers in the capital face fees of £12.50 to enter the capital's innermost roads if they are driving older, polluting vehicles.

That comes on top of the congestion charge that affects central London during business hours, but the zone will be extended to the whole of inner London within the North and South Circular roads from October 2012.

Green Party London Assembly member Caroline Russell told the Standard: “No one wants to be the fun police or see people lose their businesses.

“But people don’t want a side order of asthma with their ice cream. This is a serious health issue. The Ulez charge has helped but we can’t have a situation where you can pay to pollute."

Many central London councils are already enforcing anti-idling rules.

(the article seems to be recycled news - it refers to 2012 as the future!)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ice cream vans these days tend to sit in one place rather than driving around with the music on - probably a good thing not to have kids hurtling out into the road with traffic being what it is these days. As mentioned in the link they have to keep engines running when stopped, and the engine is probably very inefficient when close to idling as well as concentrating emissions in one place, typically close to lots of people.

One consequence of widespread EV charging points should be that an ice cream van can plug into one.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hello there. I'm not sure if there's been a thread on ice-cream vans but I'll be quite honest, I'm 50/50 surprised at this........

Could you explain what this means? (serious question).

Do you mean 50% surprised, and 50% expecting (to hear this news)?

In which case, doesn't that make you 'unsurprised' ?

I'm surprised (100% surprised) by the expression :)

ComUtoR

Established Member
Interesting that they wish to ban them because of the vehicle emissions, rather than all that sugar.

sprunt

Interesting that they wish to ban them because of the vehicle emissions, rather than all that sugar.

The sugar is only doing any harm to those who choose to eat it. The emissions are doing harm to everybody in the area.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The sugar is only doing any harm to those who choose to eat it. The emissions are doing harm to everybody in the area.

So lets encourage kids to eat more and more junk food. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

cactustwirly

Established Member
that will learn them forigns with their fancy gellato and vienetta muck. Mr Whippy all round!

Well if anyone thinks that then they clearly uneducated

Everyone knows Gelato is superior to 'Mr Whippy' muck. :lol:

bramling

Veteran Member
Hello there. I'm not sure if there's been a thread on ice-cream vans but I'll be quite honest, I'm 50/50 surprised at this...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/ice-cream-vans-banned-over-16210075

I wonder if future ice-cream vans could be electric.

That's a shame because a 99 ice-cream I'd love to buy - I'm hoping on the walking area near Waterloo Bridge is (roughly where you'd find a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter ice-cream van) will continue to serve them.

I'd have thought it would be the 1990's Ford Transit vans or older vans that would be to blaim.

Have to say I’m tentatively in agreement with this, much as I’ve been glad of an ice cream on occasions albeit mainly in rural locations.

If only the same applied to taxis and many buses, it’s virtually impossible to walk into my local station without getting a mouthful from one or other of these.

pdq

When I was growing up in Tenby in the late 70s - early 90s, the ice cream vans on the beach had a gas powered engine/generator in the rear that ran the freezers and soft-serve machine, and the vehicle's engine was only started to move the van along the beach. It can't be impossible for this concept to be used these days can it? This would avoid the diesel fumes and particulates that the older vans, in particular, give off.

whhistle

On Moderation
I wish this was real.
The one down my road plays music louder than some concerts I've been to!

Ploughman

Established Member
Not to do with Ice Cream vans but what about the contractors vans that have been converted to supply 110 / 240 volt by ditching a generator (Big weight item in vans) and using the van as the generator?
Numerous firms do this conversion work for national companies.
This is supply electricity for power tools on Building sites / Roadside assistance and any other place electric power is needed?

Meerkat

Established Member
Quite a few ice cream vans seem to be on ‘pitches’ - ie sit at the same place every day.
Can’t be that hard for the council to put in a metered mains supply, maybe an off the shelf electric car charger type thing.
The operator would probably appreciate working without the noise and vibration!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
When I was growing up in Tenby in the late 70s - early 90s, the ice cream vans on the beach had a gas powered engine/generator in the rear that ran the freezers and soft-serve machine, and the vehicle's engine was only started to move the van along the beach. It can't be impossible for this concept to be used these days can it? This would avoid the diesel fumes and particulates that the older vans, in particular, give off.

Could probably run them off solar power now, the ice cream equipment that is. And the van could be a hybrid or even straight electric.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Could you explain what this means? (serious question).

Do you mean 50% surprised, and 50% expecting (to hear this news)?

In which case, doesn't that make you 'unsurprised' ?

I'm surprised (100% surprised) by the expression :)
It just seems like an inelegant way of saying he was half expecting it, i.e. not surprised but thinks it’s a stupid idea – which are pretty much my thoughts.

When you consider all the problems in the world, or even the ones local authorities have the powers to tackle, then the menace of ice cream vans comes pretty low on the list.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It just seems like an inelegant way of saying he was half expecting it, i.e. not surprised but thinks it’s a stupid idea – which are pretty much my thoughts.

When you consider all the problems in the world, or even the ones local authorities have the powers to tackle, then the menace of ice cream vans comes pretty low on the list.
Unlike idling buses and taxis, they tend to be surrounded by people including small children most of the time, they need a continuous supply for the refrigeration and they sit still long enough to justify a shore supply. So eliminating the emissions from one ice cream van is probably both easier and more beneficial than doing so for one bus or taxi.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Well if anyone thinks that then they clearly uneducated

Everyone knows Gelato is superior to 'Mr Whippy' muck. :lol:
If talking about the often tasteless stuff that attempts to pass as Vanilla I'd agree. Flavoured soft-serve ice-cream, however, is probably even better than gelato. And this is at least somewhat relevent to ice-cream vans as I know of at least one that serves Strawberry as well as vanilla (although Blue Raspberry flavour is probably my favourite of the ones I have tried).

Bantamzen

Established Member
Was ice cream recently classified under the heading of an "ultra-processed" food?

Isn't pretty much every food type classed as "ultra-processed" or unhealthy these days? ;)

I did have to laugh the other day when a food expert talking about "ultra-processed" foods on the BBC news classed olives as one because they are soaked in brine. I dread to think what the BBC's 'elf and safety conscious editors will make of the effects of oxygen on human cells if olives are to join the long list of "don't-dos"... :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Isn't pretty much every food type classed as "ultra-processed" or unhealthy these days? ;)

I did have to laugh the other day when a food expert talking about "ultra-processed" foods on the BBC news classed olives as one because they are soaked in brine. I dread to think what the BBC's 'elf and safety conscious editors will make of the effects of oxygen on human cells if olives are to join the long list of "don't-dos"... :D

Surely there is a difference between processed foods and ultra-processed foods?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Surely there is a difference between processed foods and ultra-processed foods?

You'd think so, but the way this "expert" was talking pretty much anything that had some form of processing was in the latter category. I can't help but think that "ultra-processed" will he the new buzzword for anything that is remotely unhealthy.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You'd think so, but the way this "expert" was talking pretty much anything that had some form of processing was in the latter category. I can't help but think that "ultra-processed" will he the new buzzword for anything that is remotely unhealthy.
Oh god. I feel a bit Ultra-Processed this morning then...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Isn't pretty much every food type classed as "ultra-processed" or unhealthy these days?

Last week someone was on the news claiming that breakfast cereals were unhealthy because they are "ultra processed".

I would contend that since just about every food has now been labelled dangerous in some way or another we can all safely ignore those "experts" and just carry on eating what we like. After all, it would be a darn slight more dangerous if we didn't eat anything at all...

Groningen

Established Member
Black carbon is only expelled by ice cream vans. Looks like a non argument!

Status
Not open for further replies.