• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ICE Hamburg to Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

leightonbd

Booked to do this as part of a summer holiday, four of us going in FC for 250 euros which seemed a good deal.

What is the on board experience like? I have looked at seat61 but I'd be interested in any experiences anyone would like to share.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

grid56126

Booked to do this as part of a summer holiday, four of us going in FC for 250 euros which seemed a good deal.

What is the on board experience like? I have looked at seat61 but I'd be interested in any experiences anyone would like to share.

Boring as hell looking out of the windows as most of Germany's high speed sections are either in tunnels or surrounded by sound barriers. As for on board, far superior comfort to the UK without the free grub. Pop to an imbiss before boarding and enjoy. . . .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The ICE interior is of very high quality - spacious and comfortable. No free food, but the on-board paid-for food is good and in 1st I believe can be served at your seat.

Veteran Member
Boring as hell looking out of the windows as most of Germany's high speed sections are either in tunnels or surrounded by sound barriers. As for on board, far superior comfort to the UK without the free grub. Pop to an imbiss before boarding and enjoy. . . .

If you are routed via Kassel (takes about 6hr) I agree it's not particularly scenic, though only about half is on HS lines. But enjoy lunch in the Restaurant, even though it is prepacked.
Via Jena is rather more scenic but takes 8 hr.

Groningen

Established Member
One can also travel for 2 the time it takes for the ICE with a Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket or SWT.

Hamburg Hbf 07:53
Uelzen 08:52 - 09:09
Göttingen 11:47 - 12:08
Neudietendorf - 13:35 - 13:42
Schweinfurt Hbf 15:26 - 16:02
Bamberg 16:32 - 16:36
Nürnberg Hbf 17:19 - 17:33
Augsburg Hbf 18:42 - 19:06
München Hbf 19:53

Gordon

If you've travelled on SNCF TGV, be prepared for a ridiculous contrast in seat comfort!

The disadvantage versus TGV is that there are no double deck ICE's so you can't get above any sound barriers or lineside vegetation.

If you do get a view, the middle section of the journey is the hilliest therefore most scenic but that also means tunnels. The northern bit is the flattest on the north German plain, and south of Wurzburg is comparitively flat.

This relief map will help you visualise:

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/l...tent/uploads/2014/09/Germany-Relief-CM-wm.jpg

Goldfish62

Established Member

ICEs are wonderful trains and put the best of ours to shame.

Aldaniti

Some ICE's have first class compartments seating six, with leather seats and a central table, almost like a small office. I travelled in one from Berlin to Hamburg last year and it was very pleasant indeed. Refreshments are extra but personally I prefer it that way.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The compartments are lovely and I actually preferred them on the earlier ICE trains than the ICE3 on my last trip which felt rather plain and ordinary, albeit with loads of leg room. One big open carriage meant first class wasn't as cosy, but I can't see any modern trains having compartments anymore.

The at seat service (albeit being chargeable) in the compartment was wonderful. Good food, plenty of drink and the only issue being temperamental Internet access!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But at least partially built by the same manufacturer

Fair point, but then so are Meridians (same basic train) which are much nicer purely due to a more generously laid out interior.

And then there are these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCB_Class_AM96

which have a very noticeable family resemblence to Voyagers in terms of certain body panels (inside and out), doors etc.

LesS

I recently traveled in the opposite direction from Munich to Berlin. The train continued to Warnemunde. The route was via Jena. Yes, it is slow through the mountains. I would estimate about 3 hours with speeds never rising above 100kph. Still the scenery was excellent.
I purchased a baguette before departure and this served for lunch, a much better deal that the restaurant car.
The seats are comfortable although a not as spacious as in 1st class. Particularly if your group have a compartment to yourselves it will be a long but comfortable day.

Gordon

I recently traveled in the opposite direction from Munich to Berlin. The train continued to Warnemunde. The route was via Jena. Yes, it is slow through the mountains. I would estimate about 3 hours with speeds never rising above 100kph. Still the scenery was excellent.

You timed your run on that route well, as the high speed new line will open in the not too distant future. I will still traverse the mountain section but in a more modern manner and the new line includes some amazing long viaducts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg–Erfurt_high-speed_railway

leightonbd

If you've travelled on SNCF TGV, be prepared for a ridiculous contrast in seat comfort!

As in: more comfortable than TGV? we did Paris to Milan a couple of years ago which was OK - no more uncomfortable than any seat would have been after about seven hours.

Thanks to all for your responses to date - very grateful. We are on the 6 hour journey via Kassel.

Couple more questions:

Any recommendations (go/ no go) as regards the food & drink on board? I won't get a wife and two teenagers to Munich without a bit of nosebag along the way.

Is it possible to predict what class of ICE (1/2/3?) it is likely to be?

As an aside - I thought bahn.de was a great website to use, very user friendly. Our tix benefited from buying a BahnCard which got me a price reduction and should be helpful when travelling locally also as we may do a day trip or two from Munich.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'm unsure about First Class, but I travelled in Standard on a journey from Mannheim to Paris by ICE a couple of weeks ago as partk of an Interrail (see my report at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117268 ) and was rather surprised it didn't even have plug sockets at the seats. Not what I'd expect in this day and age, even our HSTs have them!

DEE-DE

ICE should have sockets at all seats, at least on the ICE 3. All online info confirms this, from both SNCF's website and DB's seat maps. Usually they are between the seats, just under the radio controls.

Jegerpizza

I have traveled many times on DB ICE trains, mainly from Nykøbing F (In Denmark) to Hamburg or Berlin. I have tried booth First Class and standard. First class has some very good seats i have sat very well in them, but the standard seats are also great seats. I never tried the on-board restaurant so i don't know about the food on it, but there is loads of good shops at Hamburg Hbf a few of them have good views over the tracks (See picture).

As far as i know, the train from Hamburg to Munich can be every ICE train expect the ICE-TD, if you know what ICE service you are travelling on eg ICE25, this Wikipedia side will give you an idea of what it is. I have myself been on ICE-TD, ICE1, ICE2, and locohauled IC stock, all great trains, i cant compare them to any UK express train as i haven't been on any.

I know Hamburg well, so if you want to know anything about Hamburg let me know :).

Attachments

• Hamburg_Hauptbahnhof_stitched_19 (1).jpg
    Hamburg_Hauptbahnhof_stitched_19 (1).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

DEE-DE

OP, if you provide us with the train numbers it might be possible to find out which type yours will be.

DEE-DE

It's definitely an ICE 1. First class should be at the front, though if you are travelling before or on 23/08/ this reverses in Nuremberg.

For the seat maps visit the following link (PDF). ICE 1 is on the first page. The coach in the far left is coach 14,12 and 11. Center left is 9. Restaurant is centre right and all standard class far right.

http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas-res/img/kbview/ContentPDFs/Wagenskizzen_2010_v2.pdf

Last edited:

EAD

Just to add for anyone unaware of it that Marcus Grahnert runs the excellent fernbahn.de website which lists train formations for German long distance services. The link to the current formations is here http://www.grahnert.de/fernbahn/reihung/reih0040.html

As pointed out before 23/8 the train reverses at Nürnberg (Nuremberg).

leightonbd

Thanks everyone. Good journey. Perhaps the ICE wasn't quite as special as I had hoped but it was fast (max speed noted 277 kph), clean, uncrowded and on time. Good start in the DB. Lounge at Hamburg and acceptable at-seat service on the train. Comfortable, not bumpy ride. Decent wifi.

PS also enjoyed a good ride on the Munich S-Bahn to Starnberg (beautiful, quiet, by a gorgeous lake) and on the very comfortable indeed U-Bahn within Munich. I'd recommend Hamburg as a lovely weekend trip with stacks of interesting things to see/do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.