ICE3 Cab Frosted Glass?

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by superalbs, 2 Jan 2017.

1. superalbs

superalbs Member

About a year ago I was on an ICE3 service between Brussels Midi/Zuid and Köln Hbf, and at some points the driver frosted up the screen.

Is there any reason that the screen was frosted up at these locations? Are there specific locations at which the screen is to be frosted up? If so, why?

2. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

I believe its done when running on restrictive aspects, or other times of higher than 'normal' workload (possibly voltage changeovers?)

3. 47513 Severn

47513 Severn Member

I believe it happens automatically during (or as a result of) voltage changes. It certainly always happens when passing through Emmerich on the Amsterdam services.

During my last German trip in November I noticed more and more drivers running with the glass permanently frosted. As the latest ICE sets don't have the seated area behind the cab at all it maybe that this little perk is being phased out generally.

4. superalbs

superalbs Member

Thanks for the answers.

It would be a shame to see it phased out, but I'm glad I had a go while it was in place. :(

5. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

Those glass panels need à voltage to be applied to become transparent and become opaque when not. So as at all voltage changeover the electricity supply briefly disappears at that moment you can not see through.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

6. Senex

Senex Established Member

That, and driver control. The idea was not that driver control should be for the driver's convenience but as a means of shutting off the forward view if there was something the passengers would be better off not seeing. Indeed, at least at first I believe there was a rule that drivers should not obscure the screen for their convenience. (Who remembers the early British DMUs with the drop-down blinds behind the driver. At first during daytime there was almost always a good forward view for passengers, but bit by bit more and more drivers took to keeping the blinds down.)

7. 33Hz

33Hz Member

I was luck enough to recently have a trip where the driver left the glass unfrosted the whole way (except for the brief voltage change at Aachen) and the door wide open. The clearest views I'd ever had of the route. Really shows you they have almost no visibility at night.

8. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

TBH I wasn't too impressed with the view - it's a small window and quite high up. Quite different from the view out of a 1st generation DMU with a wall of glass in front of the driver (which for crashworthiness reasons is not likely to be replicated any time soon).

9. 33Hz

33Hz Member

I find it depends on which seat you sit in. The best view out is the isle seat in the second row I think. If you want to see the instruments then the front row corner seats are better. I had the whole compartment to myself this time so I was able to hop about and stand up to get better views.

I always try to sit up front because one day these ICE 3s will be gone and there will be no more 320 kmh view out.

10. Senex

Senex Established Member

Agreed!

11. Dougal2345

Dougal2345 Member

I've had no luck at all with these on my occasional rides over the past few years... For example, a fortnight ago I did Brussels to Köln, then to-day München to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Brussels, and just had a wall of grey in front of my nose. I'm wondering whether to write to DB's customer relations and see what they say, but my German's not up to it...

12. 30907

30907 Established Member

You can try them in English...

It is, as others have said, an increasing problem.

13. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I rather gamble that if you send the email in English they'll be able to reply in English.

14. 33Hz

33Hz Member

It's definitely getting worse. I've had a few grey walls lately, the most recent trip the driver was doing his preparations quite happily with the glass transparent until he spotted that I had sneaked into the compartment and was minding my own business, when he abruptly frosted the glass and that was it for the rest of the time he was driving.

15. StephenHunter

StephenHunter Member

I suppose that drivers don't like being watched... perhaps they should install a monitor and front view camera instead?

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

That'd give a better view, the cab front window is so high and small that the view out isn't actually that good anyway. It's not a "wall of glass" heritage DMU.

17. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

18. blackfive460

blackfive460 Member

Exactly.
    Aside from the fact that those areas in an ICE3 are 'Ruhebereiche', quite zones, I've never seen the attraction. Even with the glass transparent, you see very little out of the front and the side windows aren't well placed either.

19. 33Hz

33Hz Member

I think it's worth it if you get views like this at 300 km/h...

Attached Files:

20. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

I certainly think its an experience worth it. I had the luck in a Cologne Amsterdam service that was diverted via Venlo. Very interesting lines. Mind you I found the front aisle seats best.