• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ID for e-tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

So I was just about to book an advance ticket through the CrossCountry website (for seat selection). I notice now that when an e-ticket is available there is a fee even for station collection, which is annoying if you don't have a printer.

Anyway, while looking at the available choices of ID for an e-ticket, I was wondering if there was any obvious reason why there is no option to use a railcard as ID rather than a credit card etc., presumably entering the railcard number instead?

It seems like it could've been quite useful to reduce the number of documents you have to carry when using an e-ticket!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LondonJohn

I think it is to satisfy the TOC that the credit card holder was actually the person that made the purchase. This is typical with airlines and other Customer Not Present transactions to satisfy the security protocols of card purchasing remotely for the merchant.

barrykas

Established Member
Anyway, while looking at the available choices of ID for an e-ticket, I was wondering if there was any obvious reason why there is no option to use a railcard as ID rather than a credit card etc., presumably entering the railcard number instead?

The short answer is "Because Rail Settlement Plan say so".

Permitted forms of ID are Armed Forces ID Cards, Credit Cards, CitizenCards, Debit Cards, Driving Licences, National Insurance Cards, NHS Cards, (Unspecified) Payment Cards and Passports, though not all of them are presently used.

Cheers,

Barry

Yew

Established Member
National insurance cards? Those cards that say 'this is not a form of identification' on them?

Bungle73

On Moderation
I notice now that when an e-ticket is available there is a fee even for station collection, which is annoying if you don't have a printer.
Is there any advantage to booking directly through them? Why not just use a site like RSH?
I think it is to satisfy the TOC that the credit card holder was actually the person that made the purchase. This is typical with airlines and other Customer Not Present transactions to satisfy the security protocols of card purchasing remotely for the merchant.
What about tickets bought for someone else, or the other forms of ID you can use?

LondonJohn

Is there any advantage to booking directly through them? Why not just use a site like RSH?

What about tickets bought for someone else, or the other forms of ID you can use?

I don't think that will be possible, certainly not with a Virgin or Chiltern e-ticket as they have specific conditions attached to them.

"Once you've bought an e-ticket they cannot be exchanged or refunded, so remember...
When you purchase, be sure that:
The lead passenger name matches the payment card name.
The lead passenger is the person travelling, or travelling in the group.
Before you get to the station, be sure to:
Print your e-ticket and bring it with you.
Bring the payment card used, otherwise your e-ticket won't be valid.

If you haven't done all of the above, a new ticket at the full fare will have to be bought to travel.
Your e-tickets will be e-mailed to you as a PDF for you to print 2 hours after booking. "

lyesbkz

As I mentioned in my post, I was after the XC's seat selection engine :)

I was really just wondering why Railcard wasn't one of the options as in my head it would've seemed to make sense! I have no problem presenting my payment card, the issue is lack of printer really.

Anyway I booked via EC and just fiddled with the options until it gave me a decent seat.

Bungle73

On Moderation
As I mentioned in my post, I was after the XC's seat selection engine :)

I was really just wondering why Railcard wasn't one of the options as in my head it would've seemed to make sense! I have no problem presenting my payment card, the issue is lack of printer really.

Anyway I booked via EC and just fiddled with the options until it gave me a decent seat.
Oh.

I don't think that will be possible, certainly not with a Virgin or Chiltern e-ticket as they have specific conditions attached to them.

"Once you've bought an e-ticket they cannot be exchanged or refunded, so remember...
When you purchase, be sure that:
The lead passenger name matches the payment card name.
The lead passenger is the person travelling, or travelling in the group.
Before you get to the station, be sure to:
Print your e-ticket and bring it with you.
Bring the payment card used, otherwise your e-ticket won't be valid.

If you haven't done all of the above, a new ticket at the full fare will have to be bought to travel.
Your e-tickets will be e-mailed to you as a PDF for you to print 2 hours after booking. "
How does that stop one purchasing a ticket for someone else?

Last edited:

LondonJohn

Oh.

How does that stop one purchasing a ticket for someone else?

Unless I am mistaken, if you don't have the payment card used for booking when travelling an e ticket is not going to be valid so therefore you can't book a ticket for someone else unless you give them your payment card.

starrymarkb

Established Member
In Germany the Inspectors scan E-Tickets and then swipe the payment card used. (National ID is also acceptable, but the number will be entered to check validity)

island

Veteran Member
Unless I am mistaken, if you don't have the payment card used for booking when travelling an e ticket is not going to be valid so therefore you can't book a ticket for someone else unless you give them your payment card.
As I recall, you can specify a different identification credit card to the card used for payment.

lyesbkz

As I recall, you can specify a different identification credit card to the card used for payment.

This is correct - you may enter the last 4 digits of any card number during the booking process (separate to the payment card) and this is what must be presented as identification.

You can also select from a variety of other alternatives to a credit card, which is what prompted my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.