• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas and suggestions for Go-Op services

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See:

This thread is to enable people to propose ways in which the Go-Op service could be tweaked, or adjusted. Or for people to propose their own ideas for services in this corridor. Or to predict what Go-Op might do next.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I was just typing this as the other thread was locked it seems - Browsing further around the website, I see there's a proposed timetable on their too. I can only see they most be prosing to stable stock on the West Somerset, as I cant see much of a point for the Early morning and late Evening departures and arrivals into Bishops Lydeard either.

randyrippley

Established Member
Bishops Lydeard to Westbury?
Only makes sense if the stations at Langport, Somerton, Long Sutton, Athelney, Keinton Mandeville and others are reopened and its run as a commuter service. If that works, then reopen Bruton - Shepton Mallet (or even Wells if the route is still there) and Frome-Radstock using lightweight battery units. Run it as a local network

Veteran Member
I was just typing this as the other thread was locked it seems - Browsing further around the website, I see there's a proposed timetable on their too. I can only see they most be prosing to stable stock on the West Somerset, as I cant see much of a point for the Early morning and late Evening departures and arrivals into Bishops Lydeard either.

Thanks for this. I paricularly like the idea that some trains will be cancelled one day every 24 weeks - presumably for maintenance?
On the basis of the May 2020 NRT these services would be almost entirely abstractive east of Castle Cary, as they almost all run close to GW or SW services, so would be (a) pointless and (b) refused.

The only way I could see this working is Bishops Lydeard-Taunton-Langport-Somerton-Castle Cary assuming 2 new stations (Charlton Mackrell looks almost big enough to consider as well). That would be a much more ambitious project, but might be some use.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for this. I paricularly like the idea that some trains will be cancelled one day every 24 weeks - presumably for maintenance?
On the basis of the May 2020 NRT these services would be almost entirely abstractive east of Castle Cary, as they almost all run close to GW or SW services, so would be (a) pointless and (b) refused.

The only way I could see this working is Bishops Lydeard-Taunton-Langport-Somerton-Castle Cary assuming 2 new stations (Charlton Mackrell looks almost big enough to consider as well). That would be a much more ambitious project, but might be some use.
I saw in another forum that the cancellation periodicity is assumed to be due to existing NR test train slots.

anthony263

Established Member

I think this is the most we have seen from Go op . I see they've dropped the proposal to run to Oxford and Banbury.

Instead of new stock it seems they looking at the class 769s that will take some getting used too although there are some very large gaps in the timetable

ABB125

Established Member
May I suggest Swanage to Bridgnorth? Calling Wareham, Poole, Bournemouth, Southampton, Eastleigh, Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Melksham, Swindon, Oxford, Moreton-in-Marsh, Worcester Shrub Hill, Bromsgrove, [Camp Hill line stations], Birmingham New Street, Rowley Regis, Stourbridge Junction, Kidderminster, Bridgnorth. (Note that these stations have been arbitrarily chosen, the actual stops could vary.) This routeing avoids any reversals. To be operated by class 442s with a "superpower" class 230 acting as a locomotive at the front. Both termini have run-round loops, so on arrival the class 230 runs round to the other end.

Benefits of this service:
  • Creates vital new connections, such as from Dorset to Salisbury, or Swindon to Moreton-in-Marsh
  • Useful new direct service between Swindon and Oxford
  • Adds passenger capacity to busy routes such as Birmingham-Stourbridge
  • Creates a home for underutilised rolling stock
  • Gives industry professionals something to laugh about in these unusual circumstances we live in
:D:D:D:D:D
(Have I missed anything?)

CBlue

May I suggest Swanage to Bridgnorth? Calling Wareham, Poole, Bournemouth, Southampton, Eastleigh, Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Melksham, Swindon, Oxford, Moreton-in-Marsh, Worcester Shrub Hill, Bromsgrove, [Camp Hill line stations], Birmingham New Street, Rowley Regis, Stourbridge Junction, Kidderminster, Bridgnorth. (Note that these stations have been arbitrarily chosen, the actual stops could vary.) This routeing avoids any reversals. To be operated by class 442s with a "superpower" class 230 acting as a locomotive at the front. Both termini have run-round loops, so on arrival the class 230 runs round to the other end.

Benefits of this service:
  • Creates vital new connections, such as from Dorset to Salisbury, or Swindon to Moreton-in-Marsh
  • Useful new direct service between Swindon and Oxford
  • Adds passenger capacity to busy routes such as Birmingham-Stourbridge
  • Creates a home for underutilised rolling stock
  • Gives industry professionals something to laugh about in these unusual circumstances we live in
:D:D:D:D:D
(Have I missed anything?)
Does it have a 332 driving car on the other end complete with pantograph?

ABB125

Established Member
Does it have a 332 driving car on the other end complete with pantograph?
Don't be silly - that would make the run-round operation much more complicated, and probably require a turntable to ensure that the driving car is facing the right way. Honestly, the things some people come up with...

:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.