• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas for remodelling Vauxhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimbledonpete

Hi

One of those idle moments looking out of the window at Vauxhall got me thinking (always dangerous). Right now, platforms 7/8 are the narrowest island of the four, yet see very high passenger volumes. Platforms 5/6 are wider, yet are on the fast lines so don't see any trains stopping except during disruption and engineering work.

My idle speculation was whether or not 5/6 could be demolished, the down fast and up slow slewed over and 7/8 made wider. This would give wider stairways, possibly including escalators, and a wider platform for circulation.

Obviously this would then mean that Vauxhall couldn't be served if the slow lines were blocked, but on balance I wonder if that's a price worth paying for more space for the vast majority of the time? Also depends if there's the space down below to take a fast flow of passengers, I guess. And the construction would involve a lot of disruption.

Stupidest idea in the world or worth considering?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Possibly much less disruptive to build another platform on the outside of the down main suburban, and making the 7 and 8 island for up trains only? A down platform might not need to be as wide as the up?

I haven't looked over that wall, but it might be possible...

Johnuk123

Established Member
Hi

One of those idle moments looking out of the window at Vauxhall got me thinking (always dangerous). Right now, platforms 7/8 are the narrowest island of the four, yet see very high passenger volumes. Platforms 5/6 are wider, yet are on the fast lines so don't see any trains stopping except during disruption and engineering work.

My idle speculation was whether or not 5/6 could be demolished, the down fast and up slow slewed over and 7/8 made wider. This would give wider stairways, possibly including escalators, and a wider platform for circulation.

Obviously this would then mean that Vauxhall couldn't be served if the slow lines were blocked, but on balance I wonder if that's a price worth paying for more space for the vast majority of the time? Also depends if there's the space down below to take a fast flow of passengers, I guess. And the construction would involve a lot of disruption.

Stupidest idea in the world or worth considering?

You know the cost of that would be many millions and it won't be done just to give people a bit more room, however desirable.

wimbledonpete

Possibly much less disruptive to build another platform on the outside of the down main suburban, and making the 7 and 8 island for up trains only? A down platform might not need to be as wide as the up?

I haven't looked over that wall, but it might be possible...

That's an interesting thought!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You know the cost of that would be many millions and it won't be done just to give people a bit more room, however desirable.

Yes, you're probably right given everything else about to happen at Waterloo. I guess a better case could be made for spending money on demolishing the Linford Street curve and getting more tracks through on the Windsor side.

Johnuk123

Established Member
That's an interesting thought!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, you're probably right given everything else about to happen at Waterloo. I guess a better case could be made for spending money on demolishing the Linford Street curve and getting more tracks through on the Windsor side.

Probably, unfortunately when it comes to spending a lot of money on something that will not make money it won't be a priority.

RichardN

A down platform might not need to be as wide as the up?

Other way round I think. Up trains mainly see passengers disembarking and heading down the stairs and the small number boarding can get on the first train. Down trains have passengers waiting for the correct train.

455driver

Veteran Member
What are you going to do on Sunday morning when the slow lines are blocked for their weekly track inspection?

wimbledonpete

What are you going to do on Sunday morning when the slow lines are blocked for their weekly track inspection?

I guess that would be one of the situations to be taken into account when working out if the overall benefit would outweigh inconvenience. In this particular case then I guess people could use the Windsor line services to get to Clapham Junction/Waterloo.

But ultimately, as Rick says, Crossrail 2 would make this discussion redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.