• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas to reopen the leisure & tourism sectors if social distancing is to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

In terms of leisure I was looking forward to a day at one of the cricket pilots (1,000 spectators in a 25,000 capacity stadium), all outdoors, no concourses necessary to traverse, distancing no problem but that has been halted. I am struggling to fathom how that can pose more of a risk to myself or others than a pub but maybe I'm missing something ? Just wondering on the priorities here - does the pub industry shout louder than the Cricket authorities ? does it have more of an economic effect so that's the priority ? I'm giving that as an example of just one aspect of our lives that I feel could start up relatively safely and I'm sure there are many others that might just help a few people whose own "passions / interests" are gone and their lives quite hollow at present. Not a problem for me and in the grand scheme of things obviously not as important as saving people's lives but sometimes little things help.

Ah, you're making the mistake of trying to apply logic to the situation - the government isn't too hot on the whole logic thing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
COVID-19 has brought a whole new range of chronic conditions, many of which there is little knowledge of the long-term effects and how to deal with them. So all of those stricken people should stop just 'latching on to them'.
I have read about such cases but I think I'd struggle to count them on one hand. It's extremely unfortunate for those involved but majority recover with no problem. We cannot carry on fussing about this virus because X may happen or Y may affect a couple of people. Lives are being severely disrupted and mental health issues will arise from this. I expect that won't matter to some as it's not the virus. People really have got to get a grip. There is no perfect solution for this, sorry but that's how it is.

Howardh

Established Member
Yes and a very big yes.
Watched a game recently uploaded to youtube, a local game (Nutfield) with the Inn On The Pond in the background. Nothing to stop spectators having a pint in the pub garden and watching the game! So clearly the best of both worlds there!!

AM9

Veteran Member
I have read about such cases but I think I'd struggle to count them on one hand. It's extremely unfortunate for those involved but majority recover with no problem. We cannot carry on fussing about this virus because X may happen or Y may affect a couple of people. Lives are being severely disrupted and mental health issues will arise from this. I expect that won't matter to some as it's not the virus. People really have got to get a grip. There is no perfect solution for this, sorry but that's how it is.
There's no need to apologise for me, you are just saying what you want to happen in the false belief that just saying it makes it happen. Your posts haven't changed anything that the Government does about protecting people from COVID-19.

DB

There's no need to apologise for me, you are just saying what you want to happen in the false belief that just saying it makes it happen. Your posts haven't changed anything that the Government does about protecting people from COVID-19.

What the government has done hasn't done much about "protecting" people from it either! It's all just tokenism with no evidence that most of it makes any difference.

talldave

Established Member
So a made up response to some made up hypothetical possibilities. Nothing wrong with that, other than a pointless waste of storage space on a server somewhere.

AM9

Veteran Member
So a made up response to some made up hypothetical possibilities. Nothing wrong with that, other than a pointless waste of storage space on a server somewhere.
If you have such a concern for server storage space, you needn't have wasted even more spce by making this hypocritical comment that does nothing to the conversation. Oh, and by the way, all responses are 'made up' unless they are 'me too' copied utterings in a conversation echo chamber.

talldave

Established Member
If you have such a concern for server storage space, you needn't have wasted even more spce by making this hypocritical comment that does nothing to the conversation. Oh, and by the way, all responses are 'made up' unless they are 'me too' copied utterings in a conversation echo chamber.
So in criticising someone for a made up post that has no impact you're also criticising yourself? That's the bit I don't get!

AM9

Veteran Member
So in criticising someone for a made up post that has no impact you're also criticising yourself? That's the bit I don't get!
To repeat what I said ion case you missed it, all posts are made up, so why try and make a point of one that you don't like? I'm not the one trying to make an issue of a few hundred bytes wasting space on servers, and more importantly nor are the administrators of RUK who know a lot more about server space here than you or I.

talldave

Established Member
To repeat what I said ion case you missed it, all posts are made up, so why try and make a point of one that you don't like? I'm not the one trying to make an issue of a few hundred bytes wasting space on servers, and more importantly nor are the administrators of RUK who know a lot more about server space here than you or I.
LOL you were handing out criticism, I pointed out the hypocrisy. It's a symptom of the mess we find ourselves in - supporters of project fear and the government's shambolic rules feel superior to those who aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.