• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Identify type of locomotive on old film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
He had the Isle of Man house all the time; the Epsom flat was basically just a "base" for when he needed to be in the south; having said that he did spend a lot of time in Epsom. During his illness he did sell off the flat and spent all his time on the Isle of Man, latterly in a nursing home within which he kept the other residents very well entertained.

Another thing he had was a boat, a yacht in fact, which he had built to his own design and in a very traditional style; I never saw it but have seen pictures of it and it looks very nice. Can't remember the name of it but it should be Googleable easy enough.

His Isle of Man house, I believe, had quite a lot of input from him as well. Including the name, which at first glance looks like a traditional Manx name and indeed it is, but at the same time it was exactly right for his character, especially if you try to "Anglicise" it: Ballalaugh. ( Barrel of Laughs... )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
A friend of mine once told me a story about a trip that he and a group took to the Isle of Man.

On the ferry passage, they persuaded one of the group who did a very good impression of Norman to get up in the bar and do the act. After a short while, my friend went to the toilet and there at the back of the bar was Norman. He and his mate went up to him and asked him what he thought.

When Norman said that he liked him, they persuaded him to go around the back of the "stage" and join him on the stage without their mate knowing. So, you have the situation of this guy doing his act with Norman standing behind him - and he doesn't know!

When he twigged that the laughter was a bit more than he had been having, he turned around and apparently nearly died of shock! Norman was apparently very kind to him, though, and they ended up doing a double act together!

The Sefton Hotel on Harris Promenade, Douglas has a bar named after him - "Sir Norman's Bar" - http://www.sirnormans.com/#eat-together which is pretty good. There's lots of posters and pictures on the walls, and the food and drink is quite good as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.