• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Identifying a train when departure time is not shown

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncombe

Today I was trying to travel from Woking to Earlsfield and return. Rather than take the slow stopping train on the way there I opted to go via Clapham Junction because it's faster and so bought a return from Woking to Clapham Junction and a single from Clapham Junction to Earlsfield.

On my outward journey I boarded the 17:35 from Clapham Junction. This arrived late and when I got on the train doors closed but we didn't move. The doors then closed and re-opened several times, but the train never moved. No announcements were made. After 15 minutes of this I gave up, got off the train and decided to walk instead, since no further trains to Earlsfield would come with that train blocking the platform. I can see now that this was 2K49 which is shown on Real Time Train times as (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W32209/2019/07/31/advanced) cancelled due to a problem with the doors.

On the return journey I got to Earlsfield a bit before 9pm and decided to go back via Clapham Junction again, so bought another single from Earlsfield to Clapham Junction. I just missed a train to Waterloo and had 7 minutes to wait. The display counted down to 1 minutes then due, but the train came through, sounding the horn and not stopping. Again there were no announcements and the indicator then switched to showing 7 minutes again. I can't identify this from Real Train times. Unfortunately, at Earlsfield the information display on the London-bound platform has been set not to display the scheduled departure time of the trains and just shows how many minutes until it's due to come (unlike the board for trains going the other direction). This means I don't know the scheduled time of the train that didn't not stop. I want to report this to SWR that not only did it not stop, but there were no announcements either. I suspect it might be this one : http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W32055/2019/07/31/advanced which is shown as "PASS" on real time trains in the arrival time at Earlsfield (but does have a departure time). Can anyone confirm?

I then noticed there was a delayed train to Woking due soon on the other platform. I decided to take this instead, but unfortunately Earlsfield station is not very user friendly, because each platform has a separate set of ticket barriers, it is not possible to switch platforms without going through two ticket barriers. So on descending down from the platform the ticket barriers were all closed and unstaffed. My ticket from Earlsfield to Clapham Junction would not open the barriers. Unfortunately the barriers were also unstaffed (I didn't think that was permitted...) So I used the (previously unused) ticket I had bought from Clapham Junction to Earlsfield earlier (and not used because of the delays) to exit. Then to get onto the other platform my ticket (the return portion from Clapham Junction to Woking) again would not work the barriers but this barrier line was staffed so I was able to get in.

Anyway a long story, but I wish to claim delay repay on the outward Clapham to Earlsfield ticket (which I now no longer have) and also complain about the train I tried to take later from Clapham Junction to Earlsfield not stopping. Not sure if I can claim for the second ticket I bought and never used either (because the train not stopping at Earlsfield meant I didn't use it).

However for delay repay I no longer have the ticket (I paid by credit card) and the machine did not issue a receipt. For the train that did not stop, can anyone help me identify it? Otherwise I guess I can just give a rough time I was at the station, but would prefer if I could give the scheduled departure time of the train.

Failing that, does Real Time Train times show trains that skipped a station? I couldn't spot it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HotelNovember

The train in question (I’m assuming) from your post is which you linked to on RTT was 2D66 (19:58 Guildford-London Waterloo), judging from the time you said, it ran non-stop from Epsom - London Waterloo, so was cancelled at Earlsfield.

This should have been shown on NRE/Live Departure Boards and should have been on the CIS too. I have confirmed this using the above.

Sometimes, these cancellations don’t show on RTT immediately, or at all.

EastCoastway

The train in question (I’m assuming) from your post is which you linked to on RTT was 2D66 (19:58 Guildford-London Waterloo), judging from the time you said, it ran non-stop from Epsom - London Waterloo, so was cancelled at Earlsfield.

This should have been shown on NRE/Live Departure Boards and should have been on the CIS too. I have confirmed this using the above.

Sometimes, these cancellations don’t show on RTT immediately, or at all.

RTT doesn't use the DARWIN feed does it? When changes are made to the CIS through Tyrell or a local operator in an SCP for SWR then it propagates through DARWIN.

greaterwest

Established Member
RTT doesn't use the DARWIN feed does it? When changes are made to the CIS through Tyrell or a local operator in an SCP for SWR then it propagates through DARWIN.
You should probably explain your abbreviations.

RTT does not use a Darwin feed, it uses the TRUST feed. Cancellations will only appear if they have been added in TRUST, which is part of the national train reporting system.

EastCoastway

You should probably explain your abbreviations.

RTT does not use a Darwin feed, it uses the TRUST feed. Cancellations will only appear if they have been added in TRUST, which is part of the national train reporting system.

I apologise. TRUST doesn't always appear to be the fastest thing to update. I don't know if what is entered into tyrell automatically propagates to TRUST in the same way as it does to DARWIN.

greaterwest

Established Member
I apologise. TRUST doesn't always appear to be the fastest thing to update. I don't know if what is entered into tyrell automatically propagates to TRUST in the same way as it does to DARWIN.
It does not.

JBuchananGB

Your saga reads to me like two abandoned journeys, abandoned due to disruption. In the first case you abandoned your journey from Clapham Junction to Earsfield due to the cancellation of a train, and in the second case you abandoned your journey the other way due to the cancellation of a train. You did not in fact make a journey by train in either direction between Clapham Junction and Earlsfield. In this case you claim for a full refund from whoever sold you the ticket, with no administration charge due, because the journeys were abandoned due to disruption.

Alternatively, you could look at it as 2 delay-repay claims, where the journeys were made with split ticketing from Woking to Earlsfield and return.
Looked at this way you need to consider the time you actually arrived at Earlsfield (on foot), compared to the time you would have arrived (by train) without the disruption, and for your return journey compare when you actually arrived at Woking on the service you did use versus the time you would have arrived if you have caught the intended train via Clapham Junction.

Whatever you decide, set it out logically and clearly as two claims, and submit them to the appropriate authority. Refunds to the ticket retailer, Delay-repay claims to the train operating company.

Status
Not open for further replies.