• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Identifying where a OHL stantion is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi guys with a photo I’ve seen I am trying to work out where the location is, the stantion displays the following

BB

I am told BB is the route, 13 is the mileage and 26 is the post number in that mile? I work on S&T so I ain’t familiar and the person who told me wasn’t 100% sure.

All help is appreciated thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ladder23

Established Member
A diagram of the route codes can be found at http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/electrification/ole_schematic.pdf

They are not unique, so BB could be any of Braintree branch, Balloch branch, or Birmingham New St - Wolverhampton. However the first two don't have a milepost 13, so it appears your photo was likely taken somewhere just north of Wolverhampton station.
Fantastic that’s a great response.. Birmingham would make sense as the photo shows a class 350 in LNW livery, so it would be on the WCML somewhere!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Hi guys with a photo I’ve seen I am trying to work out where the location is, the stantion displays the following

BB

I am told BB is the route, 13 is the mileage and 26 is the post number in that mile? I work on S&T so I ain’t familiar and the person who told me wasn’t 100% sure.

All help is appreciated thank you

On installations since the 1970s, the "mileage" is actually kilometres. Though that wouldn't apply to Birmingham-Wolves.

59CosG95

Established Member
Yes, each structure does.
Some ones have a "plate" in the form of a strip of sticky-back plastic (mainly installations from the 1970s) - these are gradually being replaced by metal ones.

A diagram of the route codes can be found at http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/electrification/ole_schematic.pdf

They are not unique, so BB could be any of Braintree branch, Balloch branch, or Birmingham New St - Wolverhampton. However the first two don't have a milepost 13, so it appears your photo was likely taken somewhere just north of Wolverhampton station.
That map also seems to show "BB" as "Bletchley - Oxford", although that may of course change...

pdeaves

Established Member
That map also seems to show "BB" as "Bletchley - Oxford", although that may of course change...
A tiny bit at the Bletchley end is/was already wired with BB masts. As you say, though, as and when the full route is wired, it could well have a different code. Current conventions suggest it may become OXD (but even then, conventions change).

seagull

BB 13 41 is the first stanchion on the main line north of Wolverhampton North Junction, so the one you're trying to identify would be between that junction and Wolverhampton station. Likely where the railway crosses the canal.

Ladder23

Established Member
BB 13 41 is the first stanchion on the main line north of Wolverhampton North Junction, so the one you're trying to identify would be between that junction and Wolverhampton station. Likely where the railway crosses the canal.
Perfect that would make sense! Thanks so much

Trog

Established Member
I believe that the main radial lines out of London were originally going to be lettered anti-clock wise around London starting and ending at the Thames, hence why the MML is F and the WCML is G. (Other lesser OHL fitted non LMR routes exist)

Status
Not open for further replies.