• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Idiot at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Snapped at Doncaster recently:-

idiot.jpg

What isn't clear from the photo is that he had walked accross the fast lines (max speed 80mph!). Oh and the 66 you can see was moving towards him (albeit slowly, fortunately).

I offered this photo to BTP as evidence but they said they had plenty on him so didn't need it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
yorkie said:
What isn't clear from the photo is that he had walked accross the fast lines (max speed 80mph!).

IIRC, the speed limit is 80mph if signalled on to the Leeds Line, otherwise it is 110mph.

Gareth Hale

yorkie said:
Snapped at Doncaster recently:-

idiot.jpg

What isn't clear from the photo is that he had walked accross the fast lines (max speed 80mph!). Oh and the 66 you can see was moving towards him (albeit slowly, fortunately).

I offered this photo to BTP as evidence but they said they had plenty on him so didn't need it!

What a t**t

excuse my language

tramboy

The question really is why? Doncaster, if i remember rightly, has a perfectly good subway that you use...and takes exactly the same amount of time.

All i can say is it's a good job he wasn't hit, no one wants disruption on the ECML.

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Harry Potter said:
yorkie said:
What isn't clear from the photo is that he had walked accross the fast lines (max speed 80mph!).

IIRC, the speed limit is 80mph if signalled on to the Leeds Line, otherwise it is 110mph.
I'm fairly sure I've seen an 80mph speed restriction heading south before Donny (before the Leeds line joins), and also I have been through Donny non-stop a few times and it doesn't look faster than 80 (although it does feel faster, with all those points! ;) )

tramboy said:
The question really is why? Doncaster, if i remember rightly, has a perfectly good subway that you use...and takes exactly the same amount of time.
He was very, very drunk.
rowley_birkin.jpg
;)

Craig

Established Member
tramboy said:
And it's easier going down a few stairs rather than climbing off a platform and up the other side :roll:

yorkie said:
I'm fairly sure I've seen an 80mph speed restriction heading south before Donny (before the Leeds line joins), and also I have been through Donny non-stop a few times and it doesn't look faster than 80 (although it does feel faster, with all those points! ;) )
I think 80 sounds about right for going south (because of that tight curve south of the station), it could be faster going north though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Craig said:
I think 80 sounds about right for going south (because of that tight curve south of the station), it could be faster going north though.
You could be right. I must admit I very rarely pass through Doncaster non-stop heading north, mainly due to the way the timetable works out.

On the few occasions I do the signallers tend to give priority to 2-car locals ahead of the non-stop trains.:|

Simming

The Curve to the south is 125mph, there is a sign the other side of the bridge. but atm I think there is a temporty speed restriction through the station of around 80 IIRC.

Ive seen Plenty of Idiots at donny, especially when there waiting for the last train. Did the staff do anything, or know about him? And did the 66 driver give the horn hell?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The staff called BTP who took him away. They seemed confident they had "enough" evidence on him, but what they charged him with I've got no idea.

The 66 did sound the horn, and was travelling slow enough to have stopped anyway, and it was just a light loco. A block was (briefly) put on all lines (although that was too late for the 66).

Julian G

Established Member
that man on the tracks is so stupid
doesn't he realise that he could get killed?

if it was third rail, he would be killed instantly
DON'T THEY KNOW WHAT IS A FOOTBRIDGE,SUBWAY?

Met Driver

Established Member
Jordy said:
What is worse than that? :?

I've seen the following, some on more than one occasion...

*Chavs climbing onto the back of a Turbo and 'hitching a lift' from Greenford to West Ealing.

*Chavs riding on hopper wagons having broken into the Brentford Goods facility (hopefully they'd have been picked up by the BTP at Southall).

*Young kids (maybe aged 12?) jumping off the Down platform at West Ealing in order to retrieve a tennis ball from the track (I believe the slow line limit is 100, but I could be wong).

*Chavs darting across the tracks in front of a train at Castle Bar Park DIRECTLY in the path of a down service in PITCH BLACK.

Simming

I couldn't really care for those who do these stupid things on the tracks, if they get struck and killed by a train, its what they deserve. But what the problem is is the shock the driver gets. If a Driver Gets a one under, its usually brings early retirement, or he goes else where for a job, as it is too much for them

Julian G

Established Member
it's a lot worse in SE London
as youths use to climb on 465,466,456 (some still do)

TheSlash

Established Member
Yorkie, i should think the BTP will have taken the station CCTV tapes as evidence, with a station like Doncaster theres more than enough cameras to record the incident aswell as eye witness statements from staff

Met Driver

Established Member
heart-of-wessex said:
surely he would of got electricuted bu the OHLE? if you cross a track with OHLE you get electricuted dont you?

Not unless you make contact with both the wire and earth. It is safe to walk underneath them (safe, in that you won't get zapped).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
heart-of-wessex said:
surely he would of got electricuted bu the OHLE? if you cross a track with OHLE you get electricuted dont you?
He was a long way from the overhead lines ;)

Ca55ie

Simming said:
I couldn't really care for those who do these stupid things on the tracks, if they get struck and killed by a train, its what they deserve. But what the problem is is the shock the driver gets. If a Driver Gets a one under, its usually brings early retirement, or he goes else where for a job, as it is too much for them

That's very harsh...

I'm a rail enthusiast too, and appreciate the stupidity of some people around the tracks, but is it really enough to wish death upon them?

I don't think so.

Sam

jdjonnay

theslash said:
Yorkie, i should think the BTP will have taken the station CCTV tapes as evidence, with a station like Doncaster theres more than enough cameras to record the incident aswell as eye witness statements from staff

Plus you can't use digital pics as evidence in a court of law (hence why speed cameras are still film, just in case)

Jon

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ca55ie said:
Simming said:

That's very harsh...

I'm a rail enthusiast too, and appreciate the stupidity of some people around the tracks, but is it really enough to wish death upon them?

I don't think so.

Sam
I agree it is harsh.

However he did not wish death on them. You may interpret the word 'deserve' as meaning the same as 'wish' but in fact it's not.

deserve
verb {T not continuous}
to have earned or to be given something because of the way you have behaved or the qualities you have
(my italics)

It is because of the way they act that gets them into that mess; unlike when an innocent person (e.g. the driver, cleaners) get involved.

Again, it's a case of arguing over semantics but Simming did not wish for anyone to die.

Simming

sorry you misunderstood/misinterpreted

I never Wish for anyone to die, I belive, like yorkie said, that they get whats coming to them. and besides, you wish death on someone, its would most likely com back to you.

David

Established Member
yorkie said:
I must admit I very rarely pass through Doncaster non-stop heading north, mainly due to the way the timetable works out.

On the few occasions I do the signallers tend to give priority to 2-car locals ahead of the non-stop trains.:|

Aye. The signallers are usually giving me priority when I am going to / from Manchester :lol:

heart-of-wessex said:

If everyone who got that close to the OHLE got electricuted, then all stations on OHLE routes would have to shut down because everyone stood on the platforms would recieve severe a electric shock and possibly get killed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jdjonny said:
Plus you can't use digital pics as evidence in a court of law (hence why speed cameras are still film, just in case)
Not true. Many rganisations now have digital CCTV systems, and they can be used as evidence.

clagmonster

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
yorkie said:
I must admit I very rarely pass through Doncaster non-stop heading north, mainly due to the way the timetable works out.

Aye. The signallers are usually giving me priority when I am going to from Manchester
The Cleethorpes-Manchester trains are class 1 so therefore have the same priority as ECML trains. Therefore, the minimum total delay to both trains is, I believe used, bearing in mind that GNER services tend to have a fair bit of recovary time so delaying them slightly won't make much differance.

jdjonnay

yorkie said:
jdjonny said:
Not true. Many rganisations now have digital CCTV systems, and they can be used as evidence.

Think DV is an exception, I'm pretty sure that still photos like the one you posted can't be used as evidence.

That certainly was once the case, not sure if it still stands.

Jon

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
clagmonster said:
so therefore have the same priority as ECML trains. Therefore, the minimum total delay to both trains is, I believe used, bearing in mind that GNER services tend to have a fair bit of recovary time so delaying them slightly won't make much differance.
Class of train doesn't always mean level of priority. For example it's not unknown for an unscheduled overtaking to occur at Doncaster if a train to Newcastle or Edinburgh that stops at places like Darlington, Durham etc is badly delayed and an Aberdeen/Inverness train is right behind it.

As for the idea that long distance trains can be delayed due to recovery time, that's daft. It takes an HST around to 3 minutes in lost time to regain speed if it makes an unscheduled stop. Much of the recovery time on busy services is needed at stations where many people board/alight, dwell times on IC services are often far greater than the TT allows.

Also if that argument is actually being used I'd want to see the slack time decreased on IC trains and TPE increase their slack time, to result in the TPEs giving way <D

Status
Not open for further replies.