• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IEP and GWML clarification on ETCS....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Under the current specification, which looks like it might be re-assessed again, a 5-car IEP train will have 59 first class seats and 250 standard class seats,
For Cambridge services, this means a huge reduction in Standard Class seating at peak time. Current 365 12 car formations have something like 717 Standard class seats. So a 2*5 car IEP will have only 500. In 1st class, 12 car 365 gives 72 seats, versus an increase to 118 for a 2*5 IEP.

Not great in commuter terms...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Are they still ordering 35 Bi-mode sets of five carriages each for the ECML?

Where on earth are they all going to go? That woudl give them drastically increased diesel capacity even compared to now, while all indications are that diesel is over-provided compared to electric capacity and wlil only become more so (Hull electrification and so on).

Are we going to have Bi-modes working all electric diagrams or something to make the order large enough to be viable?

Nym

Established Member
Are we going to have Bi-modes working all electric diagrams or something to make the order large enough to be viable?

Probably, the business case for Bi Mode is getting weaker and weaker...

Especially now most people who actually think about it have realised that if HSTs need life extension anyway, they can soldier on till a load of stock is freed up by HS2/MML Electrification.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
About the only way i can think of the Bi Mode order actually making sense would be folding Grand Central's Sunderland and Bradford operation into the ICEC franchise next time around, along with (I believe) the remains of the non Thameslink component of FCC.
Even then the Bradford operation is pretty pointless when you can run all electric Bradford trains into Forster Square and there is still a huge oversupply of bimodes and undersupply of new electric stock.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
About the only way i can think of the Bi Mode order actually making sense would be folding Grand Central's Scarborough and Bradford operation into the ICEC franchise next time around, along with (I believe) the remains of the non Thameslink component of FCC.

Sorry what!?

Status
Not open for further replies.