• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IEP Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Having found some of the approved planning applications, I thought some of you might be interested to see them. I keep reading reference to 5 depots, but have only found 4:

Doncaster, Ten Pound Walk
http://planning.doncaster.gov.uk/on...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LZOWV5FX05H00

London, North Pole
http://www.apps.lbhf.gov.uk/PublicA...l=LRZ05LBI0IE00&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=P3

Bristol, Stoke Gifford
http://developments.southglos.gov.uk/online-applications/advancedSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

Swansea, Maliphant
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=4681 (search for application 2011/1305)

So does anyone know anything about the mooted fifth depot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The manufacturing plant is in Newton Aycliffe, and I'm sure it had planning permission a while back.

sprinterguy

Established Member
So Swansea is going to look after these trains but won't be electrified?
There'll be plenty of Bi-mode units to look after. Presumably, the on-board computers will keep a record of any faults that occur with the electrical equipment that can then be downloaded at the depot, even though it's not under the wires: Although admittedly, there won't be any way to test if the repairs they have made actually work until the unit gets back to Cardiff ;)

MarkyT

Established Member
There'll be plenty of Bi-mode units to look after. Presumably, the on-board computers will keep a record of any faults that occur with the electrical equipment that can then be downloaded at the depot, even though it's not under the wires: Although admittedly, there won't be any way to test if the repairs they have made actually work until the unit gets back to Cardiff ;)

Perhaps they could have a short length of 25kV catenary at Swansea for testing the HV subsystems. It could stretch as far as . . . let's see . . . Cardiff!!

RobShipway

Established Member
Perhaps they could have a short length of 25kV catenary at Swansea for testing the HV subsystems. It could stretch as far as . . . let's see . . . Cardiff!!

The daft thing is that you will probably find some catenary will be put up in the Swansea depot area, so that it can be tested which makes a mockery of not put the wires up to Swansea.

PhilipW

I hope it isn't the diesel engine that fails, then they will have trouble getting it to Swansea.

Hang on, I think I have the answer. What we need is a Tri-Mode train, we need a steam engine in it as well !!

Ooh, perhaps we better not joke about this. The DfT might actually think this is a good idea and go with it.

DownSouth

Established Member
Add some others as well; solar, wind, hydrogen, LPG, and bicycle
You forgot hamster wheels and rocket-assisted takeoff bottles borrowed from the nearest air base.

610px-Boeing_B-47B_rocket-assisted_take_off_on_April_15%2C_1954_061024-F-1234S-011.jpg

It would at least bring back a little bit of the steam era ambience!

Status
Not open for further replies.